Best Gear Oil for Lower unit

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I received my new impeller for the '48 Scottie and will be putting the lower unit back together. What oil would be recommended? Thanks!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Best Gear Oil for Lower unit

Marine rated gear oil. Really similar to gear oil for cars however it will state for marine use on the container. Your local walmart should carry a few brands

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

This is a popular question:

If you need more suggestions, scroll down to "Similar Threads", click each one of them and if you need more suggestions scroll down to "Similar Threads" and repeat...you will go dizzy at the number of time this has been asked/answered.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's an old motor. No telling how many hours it has or how much wear.

Buy what the motor was designed to use. Hypoid 90. NAPA auto parts sells many oem parts and lubricants for older marine applications.

I'd stay away from anything synthetic or semi-synthetic. You'd be sorry if your clutch dog started to slip out of gear because of superior lubrication.

Now, if the motor was brand new, go for the slippery stuff!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, none of the above. That motor takes "Outboard Gear GREASE". No longer made, most people use Lubriplate 105 Motor Assembly Grease, available from NAPA stores.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Actually, none of the above. That motor takes "Outboard Gear GREASE". No longer made, most people use Lubriplate 105 Motor Assembly Grease, available from NAPA stores.

Oops, my bad. I'm an Evinrude guy at heart. Only own a few Scotts. Some of my older motors have the word "grease" embossed above the lower fill screw. I guess if you pop the screw and see grease instead of oil running out it should be quite evident....LOL.

Agree on the 105.