Minn kota repair

breamman

Recruit
Hi everyone,

i need some urgent help, my minkota riptide stopped working recently, left and right works but the propeller does not spin, i replaced the armachere and tested if there was power going to the matnets at the leg of the motor. and there is. i put power straight to the red/black wires at the top head of the motor and nothing. any sugestion to see if i can get the propeller spinning? i have also replaced the foor control and still nothing.

Kind regards,

Sean.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Minn kota repair

12V or 24V?

If you put power to the red/black leads going down the shaft and the motor does not spin, then there is something wrong from the wires on down to the motor. Why did you replace the armature, fried?

I just finished repairing my Vector (the armature was fried) and the brushes & plastic brush holder were also bad, needed to be replaced. Do the brushes move in-out freely when pushed into the brush holder? If the brushes are stuck in the brush holder, everything needs to be replaced. Also check the wiring as mine was pretty fried, down where it connects to the brushes, melted insulation, got really hot. I just shotgunned it and replaced all of the parts in the motor housing, only thing I reused was the motor housing and end cap.

Check fish307 for Minn Kota parts, they were very reasonable.

breamman

Recruit

thanks for the quick response!!

12V.

i thought it was but to be sure i replaced the armature.

yeah the brushes are moving freely, it could be the wire down from the head to the brushes that is making it spark fair intensly.

ill give it a shot trying to replace everything down there, but yeah as i said when i connect the battery to the 2 red/black wires it makes a intense spark. have you heard of this before?

Kind regards,

Sean.

fishrdan

Admiral

Big spark and no motor turning, you have something shorting out down in the motor housing or shaft wiring. Or the armature is stuck/binding and not turning, hope that isn't the case or you could fry the new armature.

Can you turn the motor shaft (armature) easily with everything buttoned up? Did you put everything back together correctly in the motor housing? I'd take the motor apart again and check the brush holder and wire connections to the brushes. Make sure nothing is melted, shorted or stuck. Check the armature too, see if the commutator section is OK and windings not burned.

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance at the red/black leads coming out of the shaft, it shouldn't be 0 ohms, that's a direct short. From what I remember testing mine, the resistance of the armature was something like 10-40ohms, somewhere in that range. Don't remember exactly as I was testing one of my old speed coil motors at the same time for comparison.

Something else, did you buy new seals for the motor? There's just a couple of them and they should be replaced when the motor is apart. Cheap insurance against water getting in the motor and causing problems.