What would be an average price for 4.3 Cobra

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice
I'm wondering what the average price would be for an OMC 4.3L Cobra engine would be? To include stern drive and all equiptment for hook-up to steering. Thanks.

Kaye

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What would be an average price for 4.3 Cobra

Why would you want to do that. OMC went out of buisness about 12 years ago, why not go with a Mercruiser or Volvo setup. At least you can still get parts for them.
The cutout in the transom is the same for Mercruiser, and the Volvos with the SX style drives.
Are you looking for New or used. If used, the price is going to be dependant on who has them for sale and what condition they are in.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm wondering what the average price would be for an OMC 4.3L Cobra engine would be? To include stern drive and all equiptment for hook-up to steering. Thanks.

Kaye

Despite what most people think the 4.3 Cobra is a great engine. My son has one it performs well, but since OMC is gone parts are sometimes hard to get. Get a Merc and have np problems. Also, it will fit right in.

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice

I'm probably looking to sell mine and have no idea what to price it at.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Smaller you might the Pieces, the more Money you'll make....

The Whole Package is worth whatever you can get for it...
as you can see in this thread,... It ain't a sort after package,...
But,...
There's Thousands of 'em out there, 'n Thousands of guys tryin' to get another lap outa 'em...
The Piece$ can get you Thou$and$ of Dollar$,... 1 piece at a time....;)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If it's an 86-90 with the one piece manifolds, those are worth a LOT if they are in good shape, the drive, transom mount, etc are all worth a decent price in good shape if you are parting it out.
I agree with those above, I'd replace with a Merc, that gives you the best parts availability and low cost...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

So this is a part out and not a replacement?

86 century

Ensign

This fellow has had this for sale for two years hope it helps.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/2100170427.html

4.3 Mercruiser engine and outdrive for a V6 or V8. $1995 This is a good deal so he says anyway.
On a side note a friend of mine just bought a complete running '91 sunbird contesa 185 with a 4.3omc for $2300

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice

So, it looks like I'd be better off parting out the boat (see avatar) than trying to sell the engine (giving the boat and trailer included in deal). I'm getting ready to go back to Germany (work) and no longer will be able to restore it. Engine was great when I pulled it from the water and had it winterized 2 years ago. Boat needs alot of work that I just haven't gotten too. I did replace the front deck but there's always more to do.

Thanks all.

Kaye

sethjon

You're kidding right? Who in their right mind would buy it at any price?

sethjon

So, it looks like I'd be better off parting out the boat (see avatar) than trying to sell the engine (giving the boat and trailer included in deal). I'm getting ready to go back to Germany (work) and no longer will be able to restore it. Engine was great when I pulled it from the water and had it winterized 2 years ago. Boat needs alot of work that I just haven't gotten too. I did replace the front deck but there's always more to do.

Thanks all.

Kaye

Donate it and take the write off.

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice

sethjon - I'm so sorry you don't like the OMC Cobra, but many others do.

154151.jpg

Anyone have any idea what year this engine is? I haven't been able to find any info and manual that came with boat is for 1986 - 1995. Stamped into engine is: OM6269732 On a sticker near the head is Model 986698 987403 4/6 cyl 11 IP 986694 On the drive is TO32924

Thanks Again

Kaye

Bondo

Staff member

I'm so sorry you don't like the OMC Cobra, but many others do.

Ayuh,... It's got nothing to do with liking, or disliking....

At this point, it's about You maximizing your investment into the Best payback...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

sethjon - I'm so sorry you don't like the OMC Cobra, but many others do.

154151.jpg

Anyone have any idea what year this engine is? I haven't been able to find any info and manual that came with boat is for 1986 - 1995. Stamped into engine is: OM6269732 On a sticker near the head is Model 986698 987403 4/6 cyl 11 IP 986694 On the drive is TO32924

Thanks Again

Kaye

I can't decode the serial #s but if that's a dog clutch model (drive is flat across the top) based on the exhaust manifolds, it should be a 91-93, they did not start using the two piece manifolds in the pic till 91...looks to be in good shape...

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Lou C - it is in excellent condition, I just wish the rest of the boat was. :eek: I'd also replaced all the bearings in the trailer wheels at the same time I had the engine winterized.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

That 4.3 is just like any other 4.3/ Just use the merc stuff on it and now its a merc. The OMC stuff will sell to someone wanting just a few more years out of their boat. I have a cobra in my baylinner. If it puked I would look first for a cobra. Then a swap-over merc. To be honest I would only think 400 for out-drive and about the same for the engine. Many have bought running hulls with good power-trains for 300 to 700. Maybe you could sell it as a project for the most I do not know. The boat in you avatar is kind of unique.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I can't decode the serial #s but if that's a dog clutch model (drive is flat across the top) based on the exhaust manifolds, it should be a 91-93, they did not start using the two piece manifolds in the pic till 91...looks to be in good shape...
That's a dog clutch model. You can tell by the shift linkage. It has a lower shift cable. The SX drives have a one piece cable all the way from the control to the drive.

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for their reply's. I posted the item on craigslist yesterday and it sold today. I really appreciate all your help. Maybe one day when I retire in about 6 years, I will get another houseboat. You guys have always been the best and you are appreciated. Happy Holidays.

Kaye

Bondo

Staff member

and it sold today.

Ayuh,... Great,... So how Much,..?? for how much of it,..??

Afubar

Seaman Apprentice

I sold the whole kit and kabbodle for 1200.00 I listed it for 2000.00 but knew I wouldn't get that. Didn't have time to part it out and the guy who bought it is a general contractor what wants to build his own, so now he's ahead of the game with all the parts and trailer needed. We are both happy, one less thing for me to worry about to depose of and he gets good parts for his own build.