Wire Diagrams needed for 1986/7 Chaparral 170HP

Palard

Cadet
Just bought this boat recently and has alot of the wiring ripped out. I need a wire diagram for the entire boat including engine, so it can be rewired.
we have alot of work to do on it but we wanna wire it up and see what all other damage has been done.

Edit:Was looking for some service manual download links but had no luck.
I did however find the right name to the manual I need: (#8 90-44553 1985-1989 Engines - Mercury Marine 4 Cyl.) If anyone has a link for it that would help me for later on with the repairs needed for our boat.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Palard.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wire Diagrams needed for 1986/7 Chaparral 170HP

First, understand that there are two electrical systems on a typical recreational boat. 1) the engine system, and 2) the boat system. The wiring for the engine is in the service manual for the engine/outdrive. It covers the wiring from the battery to the engine, the engine itself, and then from the engine to the helm. The boat system consists of the wiring for the lights, instruments, and any other accesories. That circuit can be identified by the smaller (usually 10 gauge) wires attached to the starting battery. There are lots of diagrams in the threads here. Use the "Search" feature and you probably zipped right past the "Generic Boat Wiring Diagram" at the very top of this forum.

Palard

Cadet

The wiring for the engine is in the service manual for the engine/outdrive. It covers the wiring from the battery to the engine, the engine itself, and then from the engine to the helm.
I don't have the service manual, still looking.
Motor serial is B406279
Use the "Search" feature and you probably zipped right past the "Generic Boat Wiring Diagram" at the very top of this forum.
I did see that diagram, it's not what I'm looking for.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

The point is, that diagram is half of what you asked for and a general guide for things like nav lights, bilge pumps, blowers, horns etc. Yes you still need the engine manual for it's wiring, but you'll have to combine the two for a complete job. You'll never find the original wiring diagram that is all inclusive given your boat's age and probable additional equipment. Boat wiring is quite straight forward in it's function, good practices regarding connections and wire sizing will make your redo sucessful. I'd get the motor done first, guages next then work on the periphials. Most everything you need to know is in that generic diagram that isn't motor specific.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't have the service manual, still looking.
Motor serial is B406279

I did see that diagram, it's not what I'm looking for.

Ayuh,... Mercruiser took the manuals Off-line last July,...
Which 4 cylinder motor do you have,..??
3.0l,..?? 2.5l,..?? or the 3.7l,..??

You ain't gonna find a wiring diagram for the hull,... They're All generic...

Palard

Cadet

Problem solved thanks to Bubba1235.
This can be closed.