use the Captains seat or not

Seaman
I have a question for all you folks, can I use the Captains seat for a bow or stern fishing seat when I get to the fishing area? I was told the starboard or Captains seat needs to be stationary but you can use the other seat for this purpose. I was just trying to have only two seats on the boat for more room when fishing. This is a little 14' Bayliner glass boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: use the Captains seat or not

That's what I do on my 16' Starcraft. I'm aware that it's not rated to be a helm seat since it swivels, but I can just spin it around after we anchor and kick back and watch my bobber.

I've got 4 pedestal bases but usually I only bring one or two seats, since I like to keep the boat as open as possible when fishing.

In waves bigger than 2-3' it wold be nice to have a permanent fixed helm chair.:D

Bondo

Staff member

I was told the starboard or Captains seat needs to be stationary but you can use the other seat for this purpose.

Huh,... That's a New 1 for me....

Mine all swivel, 'n the houseboat just uses an ole barstool...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Every seat in my last three boats including my pontoon had swivel seats at all positions including the helm that lock at 90 degree points, they can be tightened via a knob to prevent removal or swiveling, the handle can be set for 360 degree swivel, and all are removable by loosening the knob. So a helm seat does not have to be permanent although the pedestal at the helm probably does because all of mine were. All other pedestals were removable. So I see nothing illegal about using the helm chair as a fishing chair at another spot on the boat.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some of the smaller diameter post pedestal seats have sticker that reads not to be used over 5 mph. If you look at the aluminum multi-species boats like Lund, Starcraft, Alumacraft, they all use the larger diameter pedestals. Many of their models have all of the seats removable.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some of the smaller diameter post pedestal seats have sticker that reads not to be used over 5 mph. If you look at the aluminum multi-species boats like Lund, Starcraft, Alumacraft, they all use the larger diameter pedestals. Many of their models have all of the seats removable.

Mine are wider gauge and they also say "not to be used over 5mph" so the diameter may not be the deciding factor.

It's based on whether or not they swivel or not...and if they do then if they have a locking mechanism to use while underway.

Seaman

Thank you all, I am going to use just two seats and then use them as my bow and stern fishing seats. this will leave a lot more room as we are fishing in such a small boat.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1955, Which lake do you fish at?

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know what you mean about getting around in the boat. My other boat owner friends have to deal with owning "combo" boats, used for skiing/family outings and fishing. Which typically means they are not very good for either. Always crawling over sets, coolers etc. When I rebuilt/restored my 66 Holiday V I went just for fishing. I installed one pedestal at the helm and nothing more. I load the larger capacity, folding camping chairs to match the number of guests. They are far more comfortable than hard boat seats and stow nicely away when not in use. My deck is competently open and clear. All sides and transom is easily accessible to land fish. I haven't had any trouble with stability or tipping over ...but.... my fishing buddies do have some ballast!!

It is open enough to set up a small camping table and chairs to have a eucher game when the fishing gets slow.

Grzzz

Seaman

1955, Which lake do you fish at?

Hello Produceguy, no lake yet, I have been working on this for the last 2 years but Ohhh Sooo close now. but I live in Mesa AZ so the closer the better when it comes to fishing. I only have a Jeep to pull the boat with

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

There is a rating system of AO, AN and B for boat seat pedestals. AO Operators rated, AN Non Operators rated, and B which is not top be used over 5 MPH (ie. fishing seats). Doesn't matter whether it is swivel, slide or fixed.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Mine's a cruise style. Nothing moves seat wise. So is there a reg I don't know about that says where I can and can't dangle a pole? News to me.

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

So help me out here....MUST there be a "helm" seat at all? or have I been in 'violation' all this time?!? Previous owner had redone the interior of mine, and there's lots of bench seating, but no seats to speak of, nothing at the helm. I just stand there. Its comfy enough and I can fish unhindered from my box there. (no cruising here mind you---launch, fish, come back)
I was thinking of putting one in but it would be removable for sure if I do.