2009 60efi alarm horn sounded while trolling

wmgraphics

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have a new 60hp efi merc with maybe 12 hours on it. The other day after about 20 min of trolling the alarm went off. It buzzed four or five times in a row quit for about a minute went off again. I checked the pee stream and seemed cool to the touch. I shut it off waited several minutes and restarted and headed back in just in case. The alarm never went off again on the way back to the ramp.

I don't understand why this would happen, are these motors not made to be trolled. anyone have this happen to them and why would this happen with a new engine.... man I took a chance going from yami to merc, I really hope I made a good choice.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2009 60efi alarm horn sounded while trolling

It happened on my 60efi but the buzzer was continuous, the impellor was shot!

Regards

Dave

wmgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

I really don't think it's the impeller, the stream is really strong. If anything maybe the therm but i doubt it. After checking around I guess a few of these newer motors had a couple faulty parts that would cause a alarm. Any other ideas... beuler....

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was on mine. Have you taken the thermostat out? only two bolts? Have you had it on a diagnostic reader?

Dave

Jeep Man

Commander

Probably a faulty thermostat, but I would let the dealer look after it as it would be under warranty.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Have you read the owners manual to see what the alarm means. Steady tone, alternating beeps, etc. Have you checked the oil to make sure it is not over full or low? Could be an oil pressure alarm. Four strokes tend to make oil when trolled for extended periods. If you don't know what "making oil" means, there are lots of threads here. Use the search feature.