Need cooling system troubleshooting tips for yamaha.

Brandon32177

Recruit
I just bought a 90ETLK and it runs good,but runs hot,not much water comes out the wizzer tube.I guess its the impeller?Im a johnson eveinrude guy,dont know much about the yami's.Could somebody give me some tips to trouble shoot?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need cooling system troubleshooting tips for yamaha.

Unfortunately, those 3 cylinder Yamahas suffer from a restricted water passage design. I owned one of those motors for ten years, one of the best Yamahas I have ever owned. But towards the end of the ninth year it would start to overheat at high speed with a load. I could throttle back and it would get me home. The shop said that design was susceptible to water passage restriction. The guy that bought it had a shop pull the head and bust out some corrrosion..

The impeller is an easy change out..after doing that, see if the problems still persists...if so, you may want to look at the corrosion issue..

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need cooling system troubleshooting tips for yamaha.

If its like my 90tlry 2stroke is easy to replace water impeller. First thing I would look at pull thermo out and check for obstructions. Sometimes rocks and stuff get in there. Also hook the hose up and try to clean it out. Then install new impeller kit. There's bolt under that rubber thingy towards front, one under that metal plate thingy, couple on each side motor. Leave the bolts holding the lower on a few turns pull down to show speedo tube. My unit is two piece shifter shaft so no nut needs to be loose, my speedo line was cut already so it dropped out very easy. Only problem you might find woodroof key needs to be hit with brass pin, harbor freight has these right now $1.77. Grease the new rubber impeller while installing. Cleaning out the motor is good idea, flush port makes this so easy. Also try and run on muffs. What ever you do dont over heat the motor.