Oil Drain Plug for Merc 9.9 4 stroke

TracyMS

Cadet
Anybody have any idea where to get a replacement oil drain plug for a Merc 9.9 4 stroke, year is 1997, s/n is OH009833. The drain plug part number, as near as I can tell is 12-825769-1. There is also something called a damper listed, p/n 825768. The one that was in the engine has come apart. I've looked all over with no success at all. I've ordered the part on-line, only to have the part back ordered, or the order cancelled on me. Very frustrating.:confused:

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Oil Drain Plug for Merc 9.9 4 stroke

You did find the right part numbers, But unfortunately those part numbers are No Longer Available from Mercury Marine.:(

Also there looks like there will be a O'ring as well, Part number 25-825770, But the O'ring should come with the plug.

One of Your better bets at trying to find any of these parts would be calling Seaway marine @ (206) 937-7373 Or 1-800-332-0803

http://www.seawaymarine.com/?source=gaw&kw=sea-way-marine-br&gclid=CN-Bx9f096UCFQoLbAodKlizqA

Also try ALMARS OUTBOARDS INC, NEW CASTLE, DE, @ 302-328-8541.

Good luck with it.

Alumarine

Captain

I think some of the 4 stroke power heads were provided to Mecury by another manufacturer.

Perhaps you could could find the plug at a Tohatsu/Nissan dealer or Yamaha.

TracyMS

Cadet

Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I am making inquiries now to see whether the recommended firms may be of any assistance. Will advise. Merry New Year.

TracyMS

Cadet

Well no luck with SeaWay. They sold me one of the two parts I thought I needed, but it turned out to be something unrelated to the oil drain plug. I'll keep trying...

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assume you are talking about an engine part so I have a 1996 Merc 9.9 (serial 0H008826) and have had trouble getting parts from Mercury as well. BUT! my engine ( and probably yours too) was made by Yahama. My Merc is a manual start tiller model and the equivalent Yamaha engine is a model T9.9MLHU. I was able to get carb parts this way, so maybe you can get your plug from a local Yamaha dealer.

Wayne

TracyMS

Cadet

The news today is much better. While Jody at SeaWay didn't have the part I needed, he did talk with John next door at Jacobsons. John did have the part I needed. It is the equivalent Yamaha part.

John also told me a story about how Yamaha & Mercury had set up a joint venture to make these motors, and then got into a pissing contest with one another. Merc accusing Yamaha of dumping motors on the US market below cost. Then there were suits and countersuits. Lots of bad feelings. Now Yamaha won't sell Merc the spare parts they need. Merc won't list the Yamaha part numbers in their catalogs... Meanwhile those of us that own the motors cannot get parts or be certain if we are getting the right parts....

So thanks a lot to both Jody & John. It is great that at least these two stores can cooperate even if Merc & Yamaha cannot.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Great to find a decent couple of dealers. Most wont go out of there way