Looking at a Orion, some ?

mr 88

Commander
I am going to look at a Orion and had a few questions
What year did they switch from the "smooth" design to the lapstrake design? I have noticed both designs for this model,I am looking at non lap design.
She is missing her windshield, any out there, or use a Taylor?
I believe there are no seats as well. Again any out there or where would I get info/ dimensions to try and replicate.Or should I go with two buckets and be done with it.The hull appears to have been painted a dark almost black shade of blue. Were there factory options for hull color? Whats the max HP rating? I have a 67 Merc 65 hp that I think will bolt up like it belongs there.
How do the Durs' ride out in the rough stuff? Anyone have any problems with loose rivets or are these girls built like a brick$%&( house? Thanks will report back after checking her out.

bsplit

Cadet
Re: Looking at a Orion, some ?

The one I bought this past summer came with a 65 hp black Merc....I think it's a 1962 or 1964...can't remember which. I think my Orion is a 1964. It says 1966 on the title, but it can't be, because it's a non lapstrake model. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a couple of pictures of mine. I would post them here, but I'm not sure how to post.

Jim

bsplit

Cadet

I'll try to post a picture of my Orion.

FirstbatchDroix102.jpg

Successful!!!

mr 88

Commander

Nice! I would get those fenders cleaned up on your trailer. I was trying to pick up a 57 boat,motor and trailer that listed for 500.Was sold before I could get it but talked to a guy that actually bought the trailer for 500 because of the fenders, and one was crashed, the seller made out.Not saying yours are worth that much or anything at all, but you never know.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mr. 88, Duratech came out with the Orion in '63, and built them with smooth hull panels until some point in '65. When Penn Yan bought Duratech in '65, they redesigned the Duratech hulls with lapstrake. Nearly every Orion thus far has proved to be a '64 by the serial number; you can however see a '68 in the gallery on the Duratech website. (www.duratechboats.com) If you're able to provide the 5 digit serial, we can date it. You can email us at duratech@duratechboats.com If you get the Duratech, we'll add you to our email list and send the annual newsletter next time around.

These hulls really take the chop well. Most guys with Duratechs will tell you their boat has never leaked. I've got the 16' Neptune (1 foot shorter than the Orion), and she takes the chop like crazy.

The Orion has an OBC capacity of 1,640 lbs, and was rated for an 85 hp outboard. That hull will easily handle that power.

Is the top side still the aqua colored vinyl, or has that been painted? I'll assume the black hull looks quite hideous, but I guess that may be all in ones opinion. ;-D There were not options for the hull paint; they came painted, and I'd call it an off-white / eggshell. If you're reeeeaaaaalllly careful, you may be able to use StripEase to get the black off while leaving the original white on. You may want to try a small area. The StripEase took off the paint which was added onto my hull, but would not strip off the original. But...proceed with caution.

The original seats can be seen in one or two of the Orions on the Duratech site, take a look there. As for the dimensions, I've not seen any dimensions provided in any Duratech literature. If you're able to construct seating or have them custom made, you may want to look at those on the site. Otherwise, a pair of Wise brand back-to-backs may work nicely. This is what I did for the Neptune since she had no seats.

As for windshield...it's not often that you'll find a Duratech windshield on eBay or Craigs...if ever. But yes, you should still be able to order a classic style which will work from Taylor Made. There is some contact information for ordering these on the Duratech site as well, on the 'Parts' tab. You'll need to click on the thumbnail to maximize the size.

I think that covers it?

What price is being asked? What is included?

mr 88

Commander

Well I took the ride and decided it needed more work and money than I wanted to pour into it at this time.I am in the middle of another boat project right now.Things I did not like. The whole boat including topsides was painted. No windshield and a Taylor repacement is about 350.Missing one bow chock and aftermarket bow light.Had a few of them "gripper"cleats bolted on bow and gunwales.Splashwell had been butchered cut where they put the Teleflex cable through.Seats were MIA.Floor had been replaced[ had the glued on carpet ] as near as I could tell as it was covered with snow and ice.Dash was all cut up along with drink holders screwed in all over the place which means a lot of holes to fill in.Large dent in splash guard.My biggest concern was the rivets in the bottom.About 10 of them looked like they had JB weld over them and 8 or so looked like the JB weld fell off of them,had a good size bilge pump , so that spells out leaker to me.The asking price was 425 for trailer and boat,no engine,after he saw me look it over good he told me 300 and I countered with 250.Told me he would sell it for 600 in the spring and would not budge off 300. So I drove home without it, it will be there for a few months at that price if nothing else comes along.Thanks for the info guys.

bsplit

Cadet

You made a good choice in turning it down...sounds like too much work. I was lucky and purchased mine for $300 which included the 65 hp Merc and trailer.

Jim

mr 88

Commander

300 is a great price for your setup.Ready to go and everything probably worked.I just picked up 2 1966 Merc 65's with controls for 300 per, wanted a backup but now I am looking for a classic hull to stick one on.

bsplit

Cadet

It came without flooring or seats. I have it ready for flooring and I'm still trying to decide on what kind of seats to install. I also need to replace the transom wood. It is now stored for the winter. I'm in Michigan and probably won't be able to work on it until early Spring. Maybe I'll clean the carbs on the Merc 650 this winter. I started the motor with muffs, and it leaked badly out of the top carburetor.

mr 88

Commander

I did some research on the Merc forum and you are correct about the carb. There is some syncing that should be done after a rebuild with these from what I read.Or take a lot of pics of the linkgage etc. and mark all connections with yellow permamark that may make it easier unless you have a manual. There is a ton of info on www.maxrules.com go to tech specs then old mercs. Good info on troubleshooting your carbs and exploded diagrams of what you want to work on. I did not look to hard ,as I did not see the 65 but the 50 I think has the same carb setup in case it is not listed.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could not agree more with walking away...sounds like that Orion is a 'boat load' of work which I'd not want to take on. Guys without much of a sense of value on a classic like that take the drill and hacksaw to them like a surgeon. That one may end up collecting leaves and rain for years to come.

I got my Duratech in MI as well, when I lived up there through 2006. Got her in January of '06 for free...in pretty bad shape, full of junk, rotted wood, frozen algae, several inches of ice...and while she was torn up, she was not in quite the shape this Orion sounds to be.

mr 88

Commander

I would maybe of given it a shot if all the factory parts were there and the topsides not painted over. Like Joe mentioned parts are not plentiful and if its not at least semi-correct or all there why bother. I already have a couple "kicker" boats I do not need to add to that fleet.I think you meant Tree surgeon haha

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Duratech was not missing any of the original hardware, which was pretty amazing. You're right, that is a big consideration when a number of items may never be found since nobody is making after market parts specific to these boats.