GoPoint Technology - iPhone automotive scanner

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: GoPoint Technology - iPhone automotive scanner

Well......... my question is do you want to tie up your telephone? ;)

I have a Scanguage II mounted in my toyota and it works great. It is a bit more money but it is great. http://www.scangauge.com/

mscher

Lieutenant

I had that same idea a few months ago. ;)

Not priced bad, only a few bucks more than a good ODB code reader. It should work. The information is in the vehicle, it just needs to be read out. Looks like they are offereing free software upgrades.

I'd hate to have the cord between my legs all the time.

They offer a good money back policy.

Let us know how you like it. ;)

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Do you need an 'ap' to calculate your mileage?
Get it.
There are other Iphone 'aps'

Do you need to scan your engine codes because you have an issue?
Get a real scanner. Most don't cost $500 like this 'ap' says! (Scare tactic 101)
I use similar units like the scanguage for engine 'tuning'.

What scares me most about this:
(Scare tactic #102)
"the code reader will speak with your vehicle to interrupt the dreaded CHECK ENGINE light."

What does that mean?
Change engine diagnostics to suit an 'ap'?
Error codes come an go, the one that trips the "Check Engine" light has been happening for a while, or just happened and something serious is about to happen.
Clearing it by an 'ap' can be costly if done wrong.

Scare tactic 103:
"Is your vehicle safe to drive, will it cost a small fortune to repair? "
Do you need an 'ap' to tell you have a flat tire?
Or a skipping engine? If it's overheating?
Or is this sales pitch trying to say this unit can pick 'exactly' which error code is "THE" error code to chase?

Uhhhh, I doubt it.
Sorry, too many questionable sales pitches for me.

superbenk

Commander

Do you need an 'ap' to calculate your mileage?
Get it.
There are other Iphone 'aps'

Do you need to scan your engine codes because you have an issue?
Get a real scanner. Most don't cost $500 like this 'ap' says! (Scare tactic 101)
I use similar units like the scanguage for engine 'tuning'.

What scares me most about this:
(Scare tactic #102)
"the code reader will speak with your vehicle to interrupt the dreaded CHECK ENGINE light."

What does that mean?
Change engine diagnostics to suit an 'ap'?
Error codes come an go, the one that trips the "Check Engine" light has been happening for a while, or just happened and something serious is about to happen.
Clearing it by an 'ap' can be costly if done wrong.

Scare tactic 103:
"Is your vehicle safe to drive, will it cost a small fortune to repair? "
Do you need an 'ap' to tell you have a flat tire?
Or a skipping engine? If it's overheating?
Or is this sales pitch trying to say this unit can pick 'exactly' which error code is "THE" error code to chase?

Uhhhh, I doubt it.
Sorry, too many questionable sales pitches for me.

I'm not sure I see the difference between any of those points for this iPhone scanner/app (there's 2 'p's in 'app') than any other scanner/diagnostic reader.

One question I do have that I need to research more is if this is capable of tuning anything. I'm mechanically inclined, so I'm not afraid of seeing what's going on with my vehicle outside the check engine light & I feel pretty confident in realizing that any problem can develop into something more serious if left ignored. What I'm interested in is *knowing* what potential issues there are and where there may be room for tuning potential. Seems like this cable/app might fit the bill nicely for a lot less than comparable dedicated scanners.

As for worrying about tying up my phone - do people actually use phones to *talk* to people??? :D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My Jeep does just about everything this device does and it is built in, the only thing I had to get was the code reader and I am good to go. So I picked up a code reader at the local NAPA store. The on board computer handles the mpg, average mpg, miles to go, when a light burns out, when I am low on antifreeze, right now it is telling me my coolant temp sensor is bad, tells me when an O2 sensor is bad, etc. Other major stuff, I use the code reader when the check engine light comes on..

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably works fine, I just hate the hype. My alarms go off whenever someone claims a product is worth some big amount of money but for you we have a special deal.

They claim it is worth $200, but they are selling it for $99. Where is it worth $200? Is someone really selling this for $200?

I know I am somewhat off on a tangent, but when I see hype like this it makes me question everything they say. I figure if the product is really good there is no reason to make stuff up.

mscher

Lieutenant

Probably works fine, I just hate the hype. My alarms go off whenever someone claims a product is worth some big amount of money but for you we have a special deal.

They claim it is worth $200, but they are selling it for $99. Where is it worth $200? Is someone really selling this for $200?

I know I am somewhat off on a tangent, but when I see hype like this it makes me question everything they say. I figure if the product is really good there is no reason to make stuff up.

Hype is what made America great. ;)

If I had spent the time and effort to develop a product, I'd want it to sound like the next best thing to sliced bread! (to use some really old hype).

superbenk

Commander

It may be some hype, but it certainly is a plausible product considering the iPhone is really a mini computer. There's nothing technical that makes this implausible. Really you're paying for an expensive cable and some code. The hardware (computer) that usually costs the big bucks is supplied by the iPhone. If anything, I wonder if I could find cable specs to make my own cable for use with their app?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Looks pretty good for what it is, but if you just want codes, can get code readers cheap now.
I just bought this one for $30 on sale
8312621.jpg

the sale
http://www.princessauto.com/worksho...ls/diagnostic-tools/8312621-obdii-code-reader

superbenk

Commander

Looks pretty good for what it is, but if you just want codes, can get code readers cheap now.
I just bought this one for $30 on sale

What I'd really like is a tuner. Not sure if this iPhone thing will do tuning though or just read data.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

What I'd really like is a tuner. Not sure if this iPhone thing will do tuning though or just read data.

That's what I'm hoping for. A tuning app that would replace the $300 ScanTex power programmers.

cribber

Lieutenant

It looks like it is a scanner and not a programmer for modifying timing advances and such. Pretty cool though that you can hook it up to all of the apple handhelds to see what's going on under the hood.

mscher

Lieutenant

Since this is not rocket science, it should certainly be possible, to program an iPhone app, to do what any other "tuning" programs could do.

It's probably only a matter of time.

After all, it's just a bunch of 1's and 0's moving around, right ? ;)

superbenk

Commander

Looks like this product (at least) doesn't do any kind of tuning modifications, just provides a mechanism for visualizing the metrics available from the OBD-II interface.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the term "tune" means in terms of OBD-II and the only way to actually modify a vehicles performance is by installing some sort of chip or something(?). I see there's numerous iPhone OBD-II interfaces, however, the GoLink seems to be the only directly wired one whereas the others have an interface that creates an ad-hoc wireless network in your car that the iPhone can connect to. The problem with the latter is that anyone else within range can connect to it as well & it is constantly drawing power. Also, the cabled solution in the GoLink will provide power to the iPhone & charge it while it's on.

I really think I might consider buying it and giving it a shot. They have a 60-day no questions asked return policy so there's really no risk.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I just picked up the software and interface cable for my computer today, I can plug into the car and plug into the laptop and see all codes, all systems as well as graphic interfaces to see what all systems are doing. I didn't need it, but it is sure fun to play with, cost me $59.95...but I did find out that my PVC valve was bad and I was a 1/2 quart low on oil, of course these are the same things that I can see on my onboard computer in the car, but the onboard does not tell me how low I am on oil, only that I am low..

superbenk

Commander

I just picked up the software and interface cable for my computer today, I can plug into the car and plug into the laptop and see all codes, all systems as well as graphic interfaces to see what all systems are doing. I didn't need it, but it is sure fun to play with, cost me $59.95...but I did find out that my PVC valve was bad and I was a 1/2 quart low on oil, of course these are the same things that I can see on my onboard computer in the car, but the onboard does not tell me how low I am on oil, only that I am low..

Where'd you get it for $59.95???

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

and what the heck kind of car knows it's .5 quarts low? It has a level sensor float in the oil pan?