Attaching deck to Starcraft 160

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice
Replied to an old thread and jasoutside suggested that I post a new thread. Here it is:

Gutted my Starcraft 160 (many soft spots in deck). I drilled starter holes (close to the gunnels) in what I would call "ribs" running side to side on the bottom and used stainless steel screws through the new 5/8" plywood deck into these holes. Holes do not penetrate bottom of boat:). Works well but after reading other posts I think I should have use glue/resin? I also replaced the dual console with a "jerry-rigged" center console. Now that I have gone through the "school of hard knocks" I am hoping to redo this work and get a better console; attach a new seat in front of the console; and add a leaning post. May also remove bow rider bench seats for more fishing room.
Any comments are welcome.

Original dual console supports and windshield are gathering dust and could use a good home.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Attaching deck to Starcraft 160

I used a combo of rivets and SS screws, mostly rivets, especially in the ribs along with Loktite adhesive on the ribs and stringers and each seam created by the 4 piece floor. I also taped all my seams, rivets rows, and edges with NASHUA waterproofing tape with butyl.

As far as the bow, you may consider a full raised deck to keep the storage areas available. The SS models originally are 3 pieces. On my SS18, I made mine a 2 piece to strengthen the added pedestal base area in the bow well.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dozerII

Admiral

I think you will find the screws will work loose pretty quickly, from walking on the deck as well as flexing. Using long reach 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum/aluminum large head rivets is the way to go.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Chinco! The guys have ya covered on attaching yur deck but you need to shoot up some photos of your rig man:D

We'd like to check it out!

barato2

Commander

you need to shoot up some photos of your rig man

We'd like to check it out!

the kinder gentler Angry Mob?