Force Impeller question

Thames_Outdoors

Seaman Apprentice
I was reading online and saw something about a stainless impeller. I am getting ready to put a water pump kit in a Force 125 Model C and wanted to know do they make a stainless impeller and if so are they any better than the other impellers. Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Impeller question

What did you read and where?It's something I'd like to learn about.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Since for correct operation the impeller must flex, as far as I know, NO manufacturer uses a stainless impeller. They are all rubber. Usually, they have a hard plastic or a bronze drive insert. It is possile that someone makes an impeller with a stainless drive insert and is calling it a "Stainless Impeller."

More likely, when Mercury started to change Force engines, one of the first things they did was to change from a cast aluminum water pump housing to a plastic housing. This housing has a slip-in stainless cup and could possibly be referred to as a "stainless" pump. This pump would have been used from around 1990 on.

You do not state the year of your engine, but if it is 1989 or earlier, chances are good that you do not have this pump. However: If your lower unit has a two piece drive shaft, then it WILL also have the plastic/stainless combination pump.

Thames_Outdoors

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Frank for info... My motor is a 1988 model C 125hp.. I did find out that a water pump kit models A, B and D kits work together and model C is the only motor diff. than the rest (go figure) and cost more. One place I called said the cost was 84.00 for the pump kit, 14.00 for thermo and 13.00 for termo gasket....

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

There is no stainless impeller. Maybe you were mistaken for propeller?

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I believe, but not sure, that the impeller is offset on center of the housing so when spinning it compresses and creates suction to pull water from below and push it up. This is why it must be rubber or flexible, I think:confused:

Stainless steel impellers are for jet pumps like on river sleds and jet skis and is what kind of replaces a propeller. Hard to explain if you don?t know about jets.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Brian is dead on. By being off set in the housing, this creates a hi pressure zone on one side and a low pressure zone on the other. This sucks water into the pump and forces it up the water tube to cool the motor.
Tom

Thames_Outdoors

Seaman Apprentice

maybe they misprinted and ment propeller and not impeller. I was just wondering cause I have not seen anything offered in stainless while i have been looking for water pump kit...