Future Steel Buildings

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone have experience with this type of building?
I bought a 20' x 24' one last summer and plan to put it up this spring. The package I bought has a closed back and the front has a cut out for a standard garage door.

They sent me an instruction book, but I just looking to see if there's any issue that I might look for that isn't in the book.

I went through that with a shed.....I found out you had to erect the walls in a particular order or they wouldn't fit.....didn't say that in the book.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Future Steel Buildings

Have worked with a few steel buildings and they were all pretty easy. Can't say for sure about yours. However, someone put up 2 large steel buildings for boat storage in the area and left the fronts open. He also did not secure the posts well enough ... footers weren't to solid ground, just in 1 year old shale/fill.

40mph winds hit the front of it and it acted like an umbrella. Both buildings pulled the poles out of the ground and they folded over the boats and RV's that were stored inside!

Make sure you put the garage door on the building, and set your footers and posts deep and secure enough!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I used to do big hog and poultry barns in the 80's for extra cash on the weekends.
The longest one I ever helped do was 1000 meters long poultry barn, and it was all I beam steel construction on top of concrete base/slab (three foot pony walls).

Spent alot of time screwing down the roof and side tin with the self tapping screws.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I put up 3 of them. 2 were 40 x 100 and the third was 40 x 170. I assume you're putting in a concrete floor? If so, you should have engineered drawings done with wind/shear load for your location. That's the majority of the work. The rest is a ginat erector set. Follow the instructions or get with the comnpany for detailed directions.

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Read the directions until you know them by heart then read them again.
Try to visualize the whole process. You may "see" a potential dificulty before it happens.

Also, make absolutly sure you have a good foundation and everything is straight, level, plumb, and square. Anything that is "out" on the first piece will hound you all the way through.

That being said, while I have not done a future building, I have done many other types. We are putting the roof on a 30,000 sq ft building now ( when the weather cooperates) they really are just big erector sets. Kind of fun.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just finished a steel building and yes it was just a big erector set. I put two 10x14 buildings together to make a 10x28; great size for boat work. After carefully working out the way to join the two, it was up in two days.
I agree about keeping the door closed; when the wind blows the building feels like it wants to fly until I close the doors.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

I do have engineering drawings and the guy who's going to put in the cement floor as done a lot of these, and told me it's a piece of cake. I am going to put the back to the west, where all my wind comes from so hopefully any wind won't be an issue.

A friend put one up 30' x 60' a few years ago and had a terrible time with it. I bought the floor fittings that will go into the concrete base so I figure it should make it much easier.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to do it, so I'm hiring a couple of young guys to do all the grunt work, and I'll supervise.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bet the company has a video. Give em a call.