Bearings kit for Boat Trailor

junya2

Cadet
I'm new to replacing bearings on my trailor. My wheel came completely off my trailor, thak God it happened right in front of my house. It still has the lug nuts on the wheel. I've heard people say that it's pretty easy to do. I just had both of them replaced last year. How do i know what kit to get or are they universal, please help. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bearings kit for Boat Trailor

How do i know what kit to get

Ayuh,... By reading the Part #s off the old 1s....

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

There are inner and outer bearings, the bearing have numbers on the edge. Either bearing can be cross referenced to get the other one.

They didn't use a cotter pin, they didn't use the right washer (or no washer) between the bearing and the nut/cotter pin. OR the bearing failed, shearing the cotter pin.

I would be VERY tempted to take that wheel back to where the service was done!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the bearing failed due to damage or lack of grease, then before you buy anything you absolutely MUST check the spindle for damage. If there are wear marks where the rear seal rides or if the nut and threads are damaged, a new spindle must first be installed. If this is the case, this requires welding and you may just want to buy a complete axle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the wheel came off the spindle, I would suggest that the spindle is also damaged and that you are looking at a new axle (or replacement of a spindle). Replacement of a spindle requires cutting and welding and I would guess the labor and spindle cost would be about the same as an axle. There is a "sticky" at the very top of this forum with bearing, race, and seal part numbers for the various spindle sizes..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

When you're messing with it.....keep in mind that a whole new axle complete with new hubs is under $150 at Tractor Supply. If the spindle is damaged and welded on, I'd replace the whole thing.

robert graham

Admiral

Also Northern Tools keep a great supply of trailer parts and supplies, if you have one in your area. Like the other guys said, an entire new axle with hubs could be the best, easiest, cheapest thing to consider. Good Luck!