Mercruiser model 485-any good

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice
Considering purchasing a 1981 21 ft cuddy boat with a model 485 engine claimed to be in good working order. Can't find much info. Anyone know whether this engine any good. Is this motor just another version of the 4 cyl 470 with the same (bad) issues? Also this is a closed cooling system. This boat will be used in fresh water. Any advantages or disavantages? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser model 485-any good

Is this motor just another version of the 4 cyl 470 with the same (bad) issues?

It's a 470 with a Quadrajet 4bbl carb.

Bifflefan

Commander

485 is a 185HP version of the 470.
No they are not bad, just ask someone that has one and takes care of it.
Mine has cost no more than any other boat. And gets great gas mileage.
But I see that you already have a negative opinion of them so you had better move on to a different one.

Bondo

Staff member

Is this motor just another version of the 4 cyl 470 with the same (bad) issues?

Ayuh,... That is Correct...

pugsley

Seaman Apprentice

Well,3 of the most knowledgeable post replies. Bifflefan makes a good point that I showed a bias in my posting. I have no experience with the 470 and its variants. My statements come from reading the forums and attempting to spend $ wisely. I have a 86 4cyl 140 in a 19 ft Glastron, and despite reading numerous problems and some less than favorable opinions, I love the setup for a lot of reasons. It does everything I could reasonably expect, has allk the power I need, and is very economical to run. Other than an alternator and required normal maintenance, the boat is trouble free likely because of what I have learned here about maintenance. I guess that is the key, maintenance, but inherent design problems and experience can not be overlooked either. Thanks for the input.:)