BF150 Starting & RPM issues

texan1800

Recruit
Engine has had issues lately starting. Usually takes 3-5 attempts to start. I notice the shutter valve closing but after a split second it opens. I have checked the vacuum all the way back to the intake manifold, tested the idle air bypass valve and all check out ok.

Today running at 5000 rpm, the engine started surging down to 3200-3400rpm then back up to 5000rpm (like a fail safe mode), check engine light came on and a 1sec on/ 1sec off repeating tone. Any ideas?

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: BF150 Starting & RPM issues

I have an '07 BF15 and am using an "02 Honda Shop Manual to help me a long with it. I don't see to many differences.

Anyhow, not sure what a "check engine light" is. The only light on mine is a green one, about a little smaller than a dime which glows green when everything is OK with the oil system. It other words, if it's not on, you have a problem.

Couldn't find anything about RPM surging in my manual, but do know that Honda has engineered in a speed limiter to slow the engine in case there is a temperature or low oil problem.

Doubt if any of that helps too much, but I wouldn't be running it too much till I got the issues resolved.