Is there anything you wouldn't attempt?

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All

When I pick up my boat on Tuesday, I will post the compression results and spark results ( not revving past 3800rpm), however, every mechanic I talk to just tries to sell me a new motor. My engine has had the gearbox done, powerhead done, ignition done, waterpump done, new pistons, rebore etc, so I figured that the not revving could not possibly be too costly a fix. Which leads me to my question as well: Is there any service/repair that you would not even attempt yourself? I am pretty handy, and firly confident with motors ( lawnmowers/cars etc). :confused:

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is there anything you wouldn't attempt?

When you come back be ready with Year/make/model/serial # and boat info.

Was all this work done one piece at a time?
Do you feel confident the work was done properly?

If it sucks, bangs and blows...give them what they need ...valves, reeds/ports, or injectors, piston or rotary, timing and fuel.

A lawn mower carb is the same principal as a 4 barrel.
Just a float and jets.

I've never felt the need to take an automatic transmission apart!
The clutch basket requires a special tool that I don't need.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry- just to elaborate. Its a circa 1988 ( will confirm) and the work was done by a marine mechanic, with receipts, so I am confident that the work was done properly. In regards to running, it idles very well, runs at 1/4, 1/2 and full throttle well. No farting, etc.

Cheers

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

now, you see: There's your first erronious assumption. Just because a marine mechanic did the work doesn't mean it was done properly. While there are a lot of good ones out there, there are also a lot of those who don't know or don't care and only want the money. For example, read Karla's posts.

NOW: as far as working on the engine yourself, almost no special tools are necessary. Even when I was just starting with my 1978 Chrysler 90, --or better yet, my 1967 55, there was nothing I would not attempt.

If you want the work done right, do it yourself. With the help you will get from members here--better than a manual--you CAN do anything necessary to get the engine running well.

Right now, Check fuel supply from tank pick up to carbs to ensure that the engine is getting enough fuel. Check the prop to be certain you do not have too much pitch. You don't say what size boat the engine is on, but, for example, a 21 pitch prop on a 20 foot boat would be way too much. Even running well, the engine just does not have the power to get above 4000RPM swinging that prop.

If all is well, then check at the top of this forum for FAQ and clik on my thread synchronizing carbs and timing.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Frank

Thank you so much. The boat is a 17ft Force Custom Bowrider. :) When I HAVE the boat I should post more info- year/make of engine, prop size etc.

Also, what fuel do you guys run? In Australia we have E10 ( 10% ethanol), unleaded, and premuim unleaded.

Cheers

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

just plain old unleaded is fine.

try to avoid the ethanol