Fuel Pump Electric or Mechanical?

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got the new engine back(350 5.7) from the rebuild and Im doing alot of other things but what I noticed is the fuel pump that I left in the bilge connected to the fuel line is an electric blue holley set up looks rusty etc and kinda mickey mouse line connections I think it does have the pressure switch but i was wondering should I just swicth to a mech pump? I remeber the guy who sold me the boat said that the electric pump was the way to go but if I have to clean up this mess I think I would prefer the mech any thoughts from anyone?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Pump Electric or Mechanical?

It really needs to be a MARINE pump, and be wired properly so it doesn't run without the engine running. And it sure doesn't sound like you have either.
The standard manual pumps have worked great for many years, why go electric if you don't have to. There are more problems with electric fuel pumps not working than with manual pump problems.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

The holly blue is 14 psi, that would be to much pressure for a carb. unless you have a pressure regulator or Efi.
The pump base is uncoated steel and rusts in a marine enviroment even tho the pump is marine certified....a I assume.
I see no advances with an el.pump in a boat unless you use it for some NOS kit. others might have different ideas about this...
Good luck!

haulnazz15

Captain

Nope, no reason for the electric pump in a boat with a carb'd engine. Mechanical pumps are far more reliable and easier to troubleshoot when there is a problem.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the replies ,Is does have the regulator in front of it ,,I noticed on some engines that are for sale new they have a carter marine electric pump has like 9 psi,didnt know if that would be good. I will most likely change to mech but wanted some input thanks

zbnutcase

Commander

Assuming your block CAN accept a mechanical pump, it's the only way to go.. Don is correct, you do see a lot more issues with electrical pumps...

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it will except it it has the spot for it and a hole where the push rod must go that pushes the arm on a mech pump I think the block is around a 1989 its all new inside

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

I think it will except it it has the spot for it and a hole where the push rod must go that pushes the arm on a mech pump I think the block is around a 1989 its all new inside

You never did say if it was a carb or fuel injected motor unless I missed it. If so my apologies. If injected you will need an electric pump. If carbed use a mechanical marine pump which has a place to connect a hose to run to your flame arrester in case of a diaphram rupture. Here's a good one.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-712-327-11/.