do I need to winterize?

morrow21

Cadet
first time boat owner. 90HP merc outboard. took it out this past weekend. I'm in SC, plan on using it this winter. Should I winterize? if not, what is the point at which I should? It has been below freezing already. sits outside on a trailer covered.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: do I need to winterize?

you have an out board.........no.

just keep the motor in the down position and let any water drain from it

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... As long as it's stored in the Vertical position, you shouldn't have any problems...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

+1. However, I strongly encourage you to keep Stabil or something comparable in the tank if you don't already. It will keep your Merc smilin'.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had asked the same question not too long ago and was told basically the same thing. I'm still considering taking it in for a tune up after the holidays, but that's about it. (Just because it's a used boat I just bought and there are a few things I learned of in the 4 months of ownership that need fixing)

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1. However, I strongly encourage you to keep Stabil or something comparable in the tank if you don't already. It will keep your Merc smilin'.

Speaking of Stabil, I got the red stuff at the local bait shop for when I put regular gas in, but then I found the black stuff at Bass Pro Shops which says it is specifically for Ethanol treatment.
Red:
41yGGqpoGYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Black:
41YmFxEuOXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is there really a major difference between the two? The black requires about half the amount the red does according to the directions, but it costs twice as much.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

There have been numerous spirited iboats debates about the viability of Stabil type treatments, but most (there are still a few skeptics) at least agree on its value as a stabilizing additive. To that end, the red will be fine. Pretty much any additive that prevents phase separation will benefit your fuel system.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Ayuh..... No winterization since you will be using it periodically.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same as on my motorcycle, I do not winterize that. There is always at least 1 day a month I can get it out and run it through its paces.