2000 Mercruiser 5.0 Blue smoke on initial start up

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone... On initial start-up I seem to get a fair amount of "very light blue" exhaust smoke.. after a coulple of minutes it goes away as well as the smell. Dose this indicate worn valve guides?? Is it a big job to fix if it is?
Thanks!
Rick BTW 300 hrs on motor

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 Mercruiser 5.0 Blue smoke on initial start up

Usually that means worn valve stem seals. It is not a major job to change them but you need a special type of fulcrum style valve spring compressor and an air compressor with a special size fitting to screw into the spark plug hole to keep the valves from dropping into the cylinder.
Worn guides would require removal of the heads and the services of a machine shop...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would just live with it as long as it isn't burning a lot of oil which I doubt it is.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thought....I just had the oil changed and I think they over filled it as the dip stick looks high. Would this cause the smoke?
Thanks..

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Another thought....I just had the oil changed and I think they over filled it as the dip stick looks high. Would this cause the smoke?
Thanks..

Probably not.

Lotsa Chebbies smoke on start-up from valve guide seals/wear. Oh well... It's a minor insignificant problem. I'd wait until the engine has 4000 hours on it to address that problem.

Bondo

Staff member

I just had the oil changed and I think they over filled it as the dip stick looks high. Would this cause the smoke?

Ayuh,... I agree that probably ain't the problem of the smoke,...
But,...
You really otta drain it down to the Full mark...
Over-filled is Worse the under-filled...

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks, will suck some out the tube today....