1984 cobia 180 sunskiff make over-

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice
Hi to all, new forum member, but I have been reading the forums for awhile. I have a 1984 cobia 180 sunskiff center console. Except for 2's around the perimeter, the floor has been cut out and the flotation has been removed. Last week this started out as a simple steering cable R&R, but we found rot under the console. 2 hrs later the floor has been cut out, the hull gutted, and the stringers are coming out next. I cant believe the amount of damage that was hiding right under our feet. I am unsure how to get the remaining 2's of old floor material completely out and flush with the sides. I would assume that the same needs to be done with the stringers and the glass material. Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1984 cobia 180 sunskiff make over-

I cant believe the amount of damage that was hiding right under our feet.

Ayuh,... That's pretty common...
I am unsure how to get the remaining 2's of old floor material completely out and flush with the sides.

A 4, 1/2" Grinder is your best friend...

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

As Bond-o mentioned... a 4" grinder with a cutting disc is the tool of choice.
Or just use the grinding disc.

You can leave the 2' section as a bonding/stiffening joint and help keep the original shape of the hull.

To keep from cutting into the hull, (very bad) I would use a piece of sheet metal under the cutting area...when I saw sparks, I would know I was through the deck and about to cut the hull. Slide the sheet metal and continue cutting, slide and cut...

I hope you supported the hull before cutting everything loose!
Sitting on rollers will only support the hull that's siting on the rollers, creating a wavy bottom!

Fiber-glassing new stringers on a distorted hull is going to create more issues!!

Good luck, be safe and Welcome to the forum!

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

I am using a 3" air cut-off tool for most of my cutting. I have the boat supported on the trailer, the trailer has no rollers, it only has 4 runners front to back. the boat has equal support bow to stern.

Bondo

Staff member

I am using a 3" air cut-off tool for most of my cutting.

Ayuh,... Then you won't Believe the difference, after you go grab a 4, 1/2" Grinder....

The cheap imports are around for well under $50.... Go get 1.....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

unless that 2 inches is rotten....leave it !

why replace it?

that is your stock deck height, and it will give you an easy indication for measurements of stringer height....(remember your stringer height will change after bedding), so take your measurements and keep the bedding in mind.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

hey oops-
I just want to be clear- you suggest that I save the 2" lip around the edge of the floor right? The reason I ask is this- The wood fits under the 2" lip, so I figure it would be darn near impossible to cut, fit, and slide the new wood under the 2" lip. I was more inclined to think that if I removed the lip, ground it smooth, then cut, fit, and reglass the wood to the side again that it would be much stronger of a joint. Just my take on what I have read in the forums. I am always second guessing myself at this point- this is my first venture in a repair of this size. As regards to my stringer height, once I remove the fiberglass shell that once wrapped the stringers, I am going to run a straight edge from side to side. I will allow for the floor thickness, and bring the stringers up to the proper height. Like I said earlier, I am second guessing my every move at this point.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Bondo-
I have a 4.5" dewalt grinder. I never thought about putting a cut-off wheel on it and using the grinder as a cutting tool- Thanks for the idea:)

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

OK- the question today is- repair this boat OR buy another??? I have found more bad news. After we removed the floor, and found the soft stringers, we decided to take some advice of a fishing buddy. He told us that we could free up 2' feet of deck space by removing the old bait wells that are on both side at the stern. So, after we cut them out- yep, more rot problems!!! We found that on both sides of the top of the transom it was soft. Both spots are approx 8"-10" square. I dont know where or what to do from here. The boat sat up for awhile, but we just had it out on the water a couple of weeks back. Cant believe we were out in the Gulf in a boat with so many problems. I am thinking of just scaping the boat. Then part of me says-"what the hell, go for it, do a rebuild". I would have $2500 into the boat, and it would perform like new again. I would be hard pressed to find another 18' Cobia or Cape Horn for that price. And if I did find one, well, prob have to rebuild it also. I guess my lack of experience has now opened up the floor to fellow boaters as yourselves- junk it or save it??

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG