any opinions on 1979 80hp merc????

I have an "79 80hp merc blueband and just wondering if anyone has any good/bad experiences with this model. I have it on an Haines Hunter V16R.
Besides the problems Im having with the carbs at present (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=452862) which is preventing me from running this thing properly, it looks to be in good condition and has only done about 2 hours since a refurb. I know looks can be decieving though!merc1.jpgmerc5.jpgmerc7.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: any opinions on 1979 80hp merc????

The motor is a standard reliable design. If the compression is good, the carbs are clean and the spark is hot, you are good to go.

BTW- It looks real nice. Is the motor and boat wiring in good shape? Those are trouble spots.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great, I have a 77 850 that looks very similar mechanical wise, it has been a good runner and starts instantly, it took a lot of work and perseverance but once everything is dialed in and working as designed its as reliable as any new one. You also have tilt trim which is a luxury item in my book.

The motor is a standard reliable design. If the compression is good, the carbs are clean and the spark is hot, you are good to go.

BTW- It looks real nice. Is the motor and boat wiring in good shape? Those are trouble spots.

Well the boat is another story. As I mentioned its a Haines V16R and it was a mate of my father in laws, he brought another boat and left this one sitting in the father inlaws front yard under the trees for 12 months. He ended up giving the boat to me for zip however there was no longer any ply flooring left and it had so many bits and peices bolted and screwed all over the place it took me 6 months to remove the old Johnson 115 (which had to be heavier than the boat!) put new floor runners and flooring in and remove all the crap bolted and screwed everywhere and patch it all up. The Transom was in surprisingly great condition and the hull besides about 12 months worth of mould was also good. I removed all the wiring and rewired the lights, bilge, battery etc as it was friggin terrible it looked like there was 10 wires for each item. I got the motor for a sweet price ( half what I think its worth ) and the guy chucked in a tilit/trim off a 98 model. So all in all it has really cost me next to nothing so far. Was planning to paint the hull over the x-mas break, but the missus is expecting twins so that could change!