OMC cobra outdrive wont move LEFT OR RIGHT

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
its a 1989 cobra 5.0 350 i/o with power steering (engine is removed new one waiting to be put in) and I couldnt get it to move at all trying it from the wheel so I did all the trouble shooting, cable greased and it moves freely when diconnected from acutator and the ram works fine when its disconnected from the tiler arm but when the arm is not attached to them its frozen so I found the problem now I have the out drive removed and have PB blaster the top and bottom swivel pins on the gimbal ring but she is solid no movement at all even by wedging it easy to the left and right Im thinking this must be the problem these two swivel pins...am I missing something else I dont want to snap the tiller arm etc off... I took the top long bolt off on the top(tiller arm ) and the 4 nuts washer off and sprayed down that but nothing,,,can I heat this up?? is there bearings inside this or just pins??? thanks

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC cobra outdrive wont move LEFT OR RIGHT

PS this boat I had just bought out of NJ and did sit for about a year without be taken care of but he also had it on a mooring in the salt...

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you!! I see #46 and #63 are bearings this isnt good it must mean I have to remove EVERYTHING on the gimbal assembly????? should I just keep hitting it with the PB blaster or dont bother and start the tear down? why isnt there grease fittings for these bearings?? they dont seem to be sealed 100 percent from the ocean?

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

well I don't think it was meant to sit in salt water and rot for a year

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

has anyone taken this apart before???

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

well reading some more what would you guys do? should I try and take this all apart and fix /replace the bearings and swivel shafts etc( I dont even know if I can get the parts) or buy a whole omc painted transom assembly for $345 dollars on ebay my motor is out so i dont think replacing it would be that big of deal looks easy enough I hacve never done it is it easy?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before you start taking things apart, check to make sure the cable is not siezed in the aluminum tube going through the power steering cylinder (if power steering) or the aluminum tube attached to the transom shield if manual steering.
If you disconnect the steering cables large attaching nut you turn the wheel and see if the cable moves.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep did all that and its all good,,, I have it(tiller arm from steering tube) disconnected now and cant move anything by hand and even wedging it a little bit when Im at the stern of the boat I try to push by hand the whole gimbal assembly,trim cylinders still on but it wont move at all so it must be the bearings on the upper and lower swivee pins

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

its a 1989 cobra 5.0 350 i/o with power steering (engine is removed new one waiting to be put in) and I couldnt get it to move at all trying it from the wheel so I did all the trouble shooting, cable greased and it moves freely when diconnected from acutator and the ram works fine when its disconnected from the tiler arm but when the arm is not attached to them its frozen so I found the problem now I have the out drive removed and have PB blaster the top and bottom swivel pins on the gimbal ring but she is solid no movement at all even by wedging it easy to the left and right Im thinking this must be the problem these two swivel pins...am I missing something else I dont want to snap the tiller arm etc off... I took the top long bolt off on the top(tiller arm ) and the 4 nuts washer off and sprayed down that but nothing,,,can I heat this up?? is there bearings inside this or just pins??? thanks

That's the longest sentence I ever saw!

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

geez dad Im sorry I will try and watch out for that in the future....

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the new transom assy. is a good idea . yes its easy to take apart and you can check your transom for rot while its out. PS a 5.0L is a 305 not a 350

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

correct the engine is a 5.7 350 but on the cobra drive its says 5.0

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's the same setup I have. 5.7 OMC with a cobra drive labeled 5.0

According to my own manual the 5.0 and 5.7 cobra drives have different gear ratios. I hit the correct rpm with the correct size/pitch prop though. So I dunno.

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

odd maby something to do with the hp in the 5.7s are they a 260s or maby lower

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

received my used transom assembly today and its looks great( good old ebay) I did also have to buy two trim cylinders now I have to connect the trim cylinder lines behind the gimbal ring into that block but i dont have a diagraham to show what goes where I have the seloc manual and it shows what line is up and down on the cylinder but not how its is connected behind the gimbal ring anyone???