engine swap

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 1988 16 foot center console... bayliner/trophy The boat has an 85 hp force on it now and it runs very well... But i have an oppurtunity to get a 120 force that has just been rebuilt for basically nothing .... Im wondering if the transom will support the added weight from the 120 force as opposed to the 85 hp and If the COWLING from the 85 hp will fit on the 120 engine so it appears to be and 85 ....

thanks guys

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine swap

The motor should swap with no problems.If they are close in years.At a certain year Mercury started using their mounting hardware.
Post some pics of both motors.The cover won't fit.The length of the drive shafts might be different.
The boat is probably rated for 90hp max.You could possibly get a ticket if the right cop sees the capacity sticker.J

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the boat is rated for 90 hp max... .the year of the engines is same both 1988s.... I do want a bigger boat lol.. But my boats in fantastic condition and it was my 1st boat and its been good to me... And until i could buy a larger one i was just getting the bug for alittle more ummmmpphhhh

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

If you're going through the trouble to get a new motor, why not take the opportuity to get rid of that Force for a johnson/evinrude/mercury?:D