size tarp best for my sea ray

den44057

Cadet
I'm new and just purchased a 1977 20' srv200 has no cover and has been kept indoors till now.
i need to get it tarp ed and any advice would be great as far as size of tarp and what i could use to keep it up and on.
I'm in northeast Ohio in the snow belt so we get lots of snow

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: size tarp best for my sea ray

You'll want to build some sort of tent frame structure to hang the tarp from and provide enough of an angle to shed the snow. You won't really know what size tarp(s) you need until you figure that out.

I have a 24' Chris Craft for which I built a ridge pole and uprights from 2" PVC pipe. I tarp that and lash the tarps to the trailer. In my case, it takes a pair of 16' x 16' tarps to cover the boat.

My .02

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like about a 22'X12', give or take, tie it down with bungee cords, put a few inflated old truck innertubes in boat to hold up the tarp so the snow, sleet, rain will run off. You'll be set for the winter! Northern Tools and Harbor Freight Tools sell all the tarps and bungees.....

reelfishin

Captain

I've got an 18' boat with a 6' tall pole in the center holding up the tarp. The tarp I use is 24' x 14' and it could probably stand to be a bit longer so I could make a taller center pole. I use an old plastic jug to keep the tarp from tearing through at the top of the pole and foam pipe insulation over the windshield edges.

For a 20 boat, if you have a tall enough center pole to 'tent' the tarp to shed rain and snow, I'd guess you would need about a 26 or 28" long tarp and about 16' wide depending on how wide the boat is how how tall you make the center pole.

Another option to support the tarp is to make a support out of PVC pipe.

Check you local sign companies to see if they have any used billboard banners for sale, that stuff lasts forever and the common size is 20x60". You could make several tarps from one banner.

den44057

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the very fast responces all the info was great.

i went out and bought a 20'x30' silver heavy duty tarp and am going to get it temporarily covered until i build a pvs frame.

again thanks to all

den44057

Cadet

ok i ended up using a 8'x2' in diameter Plastic Culvert Pipe in the center of the boat with the 20'x30' tarp and it seemed to work out great.

my son said it looks like a tug boat now :)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

den I felt your pain as I live in NE Ohio as well but untill I bought the heavy duty tarp garage from TSC 5 yrs ago the best thing I found to do was use the spool of mouring line I had and used a long enough piece to wrap around the front bow cleat and drew both ends of the line over the wind shield and back over the transom and tied both of those ends to heavy bungees and then drew them taught to the transom trailering strap eyelets and then tarped over that which still works out great in the summer to keep the sun and eliments off and out of the boat as well as shedding water from pooling on the tarp everything drains really well and for everything I used it all stores neatly in the ski locker. By the way I use a 12x24 tarp I got @ wall mart lasted the last 2 seasons only paid 20.00 for it but all in all the tarp garage is the way to go worth every penny and then some but for now use the tarp and make sure you pull the drain plug!!!!!!!

nlain

Commander

Did you vent the tarp, I don't know about the North but here in SE Ga if I don't vent I have a mold and mildew problem when I uncover. I am subject to uncover at any time since we can boat most months here so it is not like leaving it from now till spring.