1990 25hp Johnson idle problems

ctrevis7

Seaman
I was having a problem with my motor coughing at slow/idle speeds so i ordered up a carb kit and cleaned and installed it but am still having problems.
At high speeds the motor runs great but at slow idles speeds it wants to trun off and cough a good bit which makes it hard to pickup decoys etc. any sugggestions on what i can do? any help would be apreciated. Thanks so much

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 25hp Johnson idle problems

Check for air leaks all the way from the fuel tank to the carb, do you have a stedy fuel flow from pump to the carb; did you pop the welch plug on the carb and clean out the idle circuit; is the tank vent fully open. May also have a failing fuel pump. Someone else will have other suggestions. Good luck.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I was having the same problem on my motor awhile back, and found the exhaust water cooling plate gaskets were letting cooling water into the cylinders. If your carb is clean, and you cannot find any other problem, I would suspect those gaskets.

ctrevis7

Seaman

Thanks guys for the help i figured the problem out and now it idles awesome and runs like a champ thanks so much

jbjennings

Captain

So........
What was the problem?
Just curious,
JBJ

ctrevis7

Seaman

im not sure if im using the right terminology but i had to back low speed idle screw out a couple of turns and it helped termendously