No fuel on 1 side of '86 135 V6 Black Max

fishcrazy50

Seaman Apprentice
Merry Christmas all.
I have a 1986 Mercury 135 Black Max. This summer it started bogging down. It went to a local dealer/mech 3 different times to no real effect. Fuel lines and filter replaced. Carbs rebuilt. The owner thinks something is causing the floats to stick.
I removed the tank today. Fuel inside is like new. The interior of the aluminum tank is shiny and clean. I use several fuel treatments, mainly marine Sta-bil, but have also used Lucas and Full Throttle.
Engine is oil injected, carb'ed.
Today when spraying fogging oil down the carb throats, the engine never bogged down when I sprayed any of the 3 carbs on the engine's left side, same side as the oil injection.
I placed a timing light trigger on all 6 plug wires. The timing light flashed on each wire. I am under the impression that indicates the plugs are firing.
I have air and spark, therefor that leaves fuel. I opened one of the drain plugs and fuel did trickle out.
Is there a common point in the left side fuel supply?
Any thoughts?

Dukedog

Captain
Re: No fuel on 1 side of '86 135 V6 Black Max

When you say "drain plug" are you refering to tha 7/16" "plug" on tha bottom of tha bowl?

fishcrazy50

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, to the outside of each bowl, not on the very bottom.

Dukedog

Captain

Thats tha idle jet cap. shouldn't get anything from it. remove tha bottom 1/2" one at tha very boyyom. thats tha main. should have a lot of gas come from that one. keep in mind that they feed opposit clyinders, port side of carb feeds starboard side cly.............

j_martin

Admiral

Thats tha idle jet cap. shouldn't get anything from it. remove tha bottom 1/2" one at tha very boyyom. thats tha main. should have a lot of gas come from that one. keep in mind that they feed opposit clyinders, port side of carb feeds starboard side cly.............

I think that's a vertical reed motor, with each carb feeding the cylinder behind it.

The fuel goes into each carb body, with each entry of fuel feeding one cylinder on each side of the engine.

The lowest cap on each side of a WH carb is the main jet cover, and it should spill fuel if loosened.

When does it bog? Does it idle well? With better information we can maybe help you more.

Dukedog

Captain

I think that's a vertical reed motor, with each carb feeding the cylinder behind it.

Your right. I keep forgettin' that they "Built A Vertical Reed" since we don't have things like that in our shop :eek:...........

Not just a cover. Be careful with tha small gaskets around tha plug. Best ta replace 'em...........

Think ya need ta squirt a little pre-mix inta tha carb throats ta see if its really a fuel thing. If it is then ya need ta re-visit tha carb rebuild, bulb, filter and maybe tha mech. pump. If all that proves ta be good then ya start lookin' at tha 'lectrics.................JMO

j_martin

Admiral

Your right. I keep forgettin' that they "Built A Vertical Reed" since we don't have things like that in our shop :eek:...........

Don't knock my XR4. For a cheep black moder, it runs like a scalded dog.:D:D

fishcrazy50

Seaman Apprentice

The carbs and fuel pump have been rebuilt. After rebuild, fuel poured out the front of one of the carbs. Stuck float or needle seal. Forget which. They cleaned and gave it back. Same thing. They could not figure out what was causing the float/seal to stick and dump fuel when the motor was trimmed up after shut down.

All new fuel lines. New few filter. All new gas treated with Marine Stabil, Full Throttle, and/or Lucas. Not all three at the same time.

I pulled the tank Saturday. Clean as a whistle inside as was the fuel.

It idled rough when I ran it Saturday. When I had it out 2-3 weeks ago, it bogged when I applied throttle, but continued running smooth at idel thru the harbor on the way back to dock. Giving it gas to take off, and it made a throaty sound like it was starving for fuel. Air was going in but combustion was not taking place, sound.

I don't believe my bowls have a drain on the underside, just the ones on the side of each bowl.

Could a sensor be bad such as the low oil warning system? Does it do more than sound an audible alarm? Could it cause the motor to run in a limp home mode to prevent serious motor damage?

Thanks.

John

Dukedog

Captain

Sounds like ya need ta find someone else ta do tha carb thing.......Probably anything else that needs ta be done also. Tha wh series is tha easiest carb made ta work on............JMO

Not at all John. There are a lot of vert. reed motors that run just as good and most horiz. motors. ie: 175 chrome bore!...........