73 Sportwin Lower unit removal

dgjones

Seaman
Ok I have searched the forum and I may be a little confused. Should I remove the powerhead on my 73 sportwin 9.5 to make it easier to remove the lower unit? Because the lower unit is stuck and from what I understand it could be due to the water pipe being stuck in the rubber bushing at the bottown of the power head. Finally, should I regrease anything before I reinstall the lower unit?

James R

Commander
Re: 73 Sportwin Lower unit removal

Did you remove all the securing bolts and disconnect the shift rod coupling.
Has this motor been used in salt water?
It is not necessary to remove the power head. If the water tube is stuck in the water pump it will pull out at the power head.

dgjones

Seaman

Motor has never been used in saltwater. I have removed all four bolts. The lower unit comes down about one inch. I loosened on of the screws to the shift rod coupler, but there are TWO screw on that coupler. I cannot reach the screw above with my flathead because the gap is too small. Should I keep wrenching on the lower unit to pull it down a little bit more. Someone in this forum said only loosening one of those screws in the coupler is enought to slide the lower unit off.

lindy46

Captain

You need to REMOVE the lower bolt in the shift coupler. Simply loosening it is not enough. You don't have to mess with the upper bolt.

dgjones

Seaman

You need to REMOVE the lower bolt in the shift coupler. Simply loosening it is not enough. You don't have to mess with the upper bolt.

Ok got it. Just to be sure...what i see is a flat head screw, not a bolt.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Whatever you call it you must remove it all the way since the rod has a concave that the screw fits thru so that it doesn't slip when you are shifting.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, what lindy said. The shift rod screw has to be removed completely, because of how the shift rod is designed. If you look at the picture below, you'll see a grove that the bolt goes through, when the shift rod is aligned corectly in the shift rod coupler. When you re-install the bolt, through the coupler, make sure this grove is perfectly aligned in the bolt hole, or you'll destroy the threads on the bolt.:cool:

Attachments

• shiftrod.jpg
    shiftrod.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 0

dgjones

Seaman

Ok thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

lindy46

Captain

Ok got it. Just to be sure...what i see is a flat head screw, not a bolt.

Originally was a hex head bolt, not a flat head screw. Someone must have replaced it over the years. Flat head bolts are used to hold the little cover in place - (the cover to access the shift coupler.)

James R

Commander

If the threads are not shot it would be a good idea to replace that screw with the correct bolt.
A 1/4 drive socket with grease inside will hold the bolt to put it back in.
I have the split end screw drivers that hold a slot screw to do that job in cases like this.
It is a pain to have to pull the lower off again because the screw or bolt has fallen down the casing.

kbait

Commander

You can also move the shift lever to move the shift rod down to give you more access..