5.5 seals and gaskets.....need sealant??

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Sometime over the winter period I need to replace the LU seals and gaskets and a few other things....Is there any sealant or grease etc. required for any of these things? Anyone use gasket compound anywhere else on the motor such as the gasket under the power head or head gasket?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 5.5 seals and gaskets.....need sealant??

I rebuilt my '61 E5.5 and all you need is a few gaskets. If you will be splitting the case you will need anerobic sealant for it as there's no gasket between the halves as it too accurate to allow for a gasket. Anerobic sealant is sealant that dry's in the absense of air.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Oh, and if you're opening up the LU you need 3M goop also. I forget the #.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

The power unit is fine but I need to disasemble the lower unit to replace all gaskets and seals. I also am replacing the swivel part of the motor that the release handle is on, as mine is busted. A large chunk is missing, and although it does not hurt the motor's performance it looks bad. I thought while I had it this torn down I would remove the head and replace the gasket. I will need to figure out which 3M selant you are talking about though. I think I have heard others mention a 3M sealant so I will read some posts. I don't have a service manual for this motor yet so I was curious what and if anything needed this kind of compound. Guess I should also invest in a manual. I have the parts manual but not a service manual. Thanks!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Which model 5.5 do you have. I should have the parts manual for you if you PM me your email address and model #.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

The parts manual I have. Just don't have the service manual for it. The ones I found so far were pretty expensive but you just don't find those on Ebay for some reason. Mine is a 61' Fisherman 5.5, model number 5522. Maybe after Christmas I can go ahead and bite the bullet for one. Thanks again.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

They are neat little motors. If could get this one to stop leaking in the LU it would be nicer though.:D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

They are neat little motors. If could get this one to stop leaking in the LU it would be nicer though.:D

I had a 5522 also and the LU leaked on me also... Oh well... I just changed the oil more often... Great little engine... Very quiet... I used it to push my 16' pontoon boat and it'd go all day on a tank... Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• DSCN2645 Small.jpg
    DSCN2645 Small.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

That's neat there Samo. Mine is used as a kicker motor for the 16' Starcraft (76') I have, although I must say that since we use a smaller 278 acre lake with low HP limit it gets used a fair amount. Mine seems to be leaking a LOT all of a sudden, after a one day fishing trip where the motor was used for about 2 hrs it had drawn in a lot of water, so I will try to see what I can do to stop it or at least slow it down. I actually had some leakage from the LU (top) fill screw. The old seal was so hard on there from PO ignoring it for YEARS that it took a lot of effort to get it off. It was incredibly hard to remove..... I want a closer look at that too when I disassemble it. Maybe I buggered the hole?? Anyway other than points and coils I doubt if the PO ever did anything for this motor except drop it and maybe change plugs. But these are tough motors and it pushes our boat OK.
Thanks to you, Willy and Zephyr for your all's help.

Sportwinjoel

Seaman Apprentice

Hey there,
I just purchased the same mtor it is a Johnson CD-18 I noticed that somewhere inthis engines life the power head was disassembled and they used gasket goop that is blue it looks like a permatex product. I think after I doing some more prliminary cleaning I may take it down and put the right gasket in.

Attachments

• Johson 5.5.jpg
    Johson 5.5.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

The 3M sealant you are looking for is called 3M #847. It is needed to seal in the speghetti seal between the two halfs. I also slosh it into the 4 screw holes for the two halfs and if you don't have a washer for the pivot screw, slosh it in there as well. I think I also covered the big O-ring that goes on the propeller shaft as well.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

The 3M sealant you are looking for is called 3M #847. It is needed to seal in the speghetti seal between the two halfs. I also slosh it into the 4 screw holes for the two halfs and if you don't have a washer for the pivot screw, slosh it in there as well. I think I also covered the big O-ring that goes on the propeller shaft as well.

Thanks!