MFG Westfield Custom yeah or nay

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all!!

I have a chance to pick up a Westfield Custom, with a 35hp Super Sea Horse and a trailer for $100. I have a 65 Edinboro Custom that I love and would like to get another one, basically because I can.

I got a chance to briefly look at it and here's what I know. The hull is in good shape and has 2 fun-n-sun seats in it. The windshield is decent and has a small window that opens in the center. The motor is in the boat not on it but does turn over. The trailer is in decent shape. I didn't have a camera with me so no pics as of yet.

The bad part is the transom is completely shot, hence the motor sitting in the boat. It would need a complete rebuild.

OK here are my questions, the owner says it's a 1960, but I couldn't find one built before 1962 and the motor was only made from 57 to 59 as far as I can tell. Not really a question but any how.

Does the Westfield have fiberglass stringers like my Edinboro? Also, the cut out in transom looks like it's for a short shaft, but everything I found on fiberglassics shows it as a long shaft boat.

The motor is not an issue, I have a couple of 57 thru 61 johnyrudes, so if it's only good for parts that would be fine. The trailer is worth $100 all day long.

I suppose it's worth the money, just don't know if I want to rebuild the transom.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mr 88

Commander
Re: MFG Westfield Custom yeah or nay

Yeah..... The windshield, seats and hardware[logo's] will fetch more than the 100.I would say you are looking at 250$ to pour a transom and a couple days work to clean out the cavity.Measure the transom height it should be 20"= longshaft.There should be a plate on the inside of the transom, port side with the year built engraved on it.It has the same structure as the Eddy, fiberglass encapusulated wooden stringers.You can probably free up the motor but if you have some laying around then the choice is yours.Like you stated it's worth the 100 for the trailer alone and you have to decide if you want to give her a new life by rebuilding the transom.Heck you might have a total of 350 in cash tied up and if the original engine is running you can sell it for a grand in the spring or better yet add it to your collection, which is what I would do....Then keep your eyes peeled for a Niagara,TRIFECTA baby!Why not and you where the one that wrote "because I can" It also will give you a new project along with the personal satisfaction of keeping them on the waterways where they belong.

reelfishin

Captain

Shouldn't everyone have at least three MFG boats in their driveway?
So far I've got a Niagara, Westfield, and Edinboro. Plus I've got one of those MFG built Sears row boats from the 70's or so that someone just gave me.

These are the closest to being the perfect boat that I've seen when it comes to fiberglass.
If only they would have had an all composite transom, they would have all lasted forever.

My Niagara, both this one and my first one needed transom jobs, as does my Edinboro which is awaiting my time to complete it now. My Westfield came to me in super nice condition not needed anything but a good cleaning and a motor.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input. I need to get some free time so I can go look it over a little closer. The price is right, but there is a large noticeable patch towards the starboard corner along with some patch work over the entire top of the motor cutout area.

My concern is if I can seal the outer skin well enough once I replace the core. The only other one I've ever done had a good outer skin. I don't think I can pour it, too many holes (patches), so wood would be my only option. Any thoughts?

mr 88

Commander

Fill in the holes or put some HD aluminum tape on the outsides then pour.The resin will heat up to almost 200 so you have to make sure whatever you fill the holes with won't light up.There is no such thing as too many holes if you are pouring, as that material is about 10 times stronger than the original wood.Prep is the key.It will not rot so even if you drilled halfway into it after the job .The water would have no where to go but back out the hole.SO do not worry about sealing the cap or patch job's as long as it was done with fiberglass it will hold the resin.Maybe after the job you can sand the transom down and take it to a Body shop and have them give it a professional looking spray job.Probably would not cost a lot if you prepped it and it would look like a factory job when done.There are quite a few ways of taking care of the exsisting holes before the pour, do a search in the restoration section on poured transoms.The Westfield has a curved transom which means poured unless you are a carpenter with a lot of time.I will be pouring mine when it warms up.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm gonna pick it up this coming weekend. The guy decided to keep the trailer, but I have a spare.

Mr. 88 thanks for the info. I will check the resto threads and do some more research. However, I'm a cabinet maker by trade so a curved transom wouldn't be that big a deal. I do have the same problem you do though, the weather will make me wait until spring. My shop is full and don't have room to put it in.

I guess the only thing left is to find a Niagra by springtime or maybe one of the MFG cuddies.

mr 88

Commander

I would suggest the pour because of the restrictions that you will be dealing with.It sounds like you want a nice boat without putting a ton of hours into her. If you decide to replace with plywood it would be at least a 3 section deal unless you pop the top, off the hull.There is probably no way to put your prefabricated wood transom into the cavity with the topside in place. The two upper corners can be sectioned in and glued in place after the main load bearing piece is done. This is more cosmetic than anything else.You would almost have to stagger your main pieces of wood as you installed them and somehow glue/epoxy them together when in place. When I did a wood replacement on a Starcraft those two upper sections were factory after thoughts,definately seperate pieces used more or less to bring the transom up to the gunwale height.Take a good look at it and see if you can figure out how to slip that replacement wood in without popping the top.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked her up yesterday, but forgot my camera. I wound up trading the guy a small air compressor for the boat motor and trailer. The boat is rough, there's no question about that. The interior of the transom, where the motor bolts through is covered in bondo and the outside has an aluminum plate held in place with drywall screws.

The motor looks ok will check that out later. The trailer needs new rollers and completely rewired, no big deal.

I will get some pics hopefully before x-mas, but I think this project is on hold until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Mr. 88 thanks for your input on poured transoms, I will go that route if I decide to fix her up. First I have to evaluate the rest of the boat, to see if it's worth the effort.

mr 88

Commander

The transom is no big issue just take your time. Does she have the sun'n'fun seats,windshield and a decent hull that is not all banged up? IF yes and the gelcoat can be brought back to life you will be good to go. Mooring cover, convertable top, saftey equipment and anchor is a plus but again not a big deal.Traded a air comp. that you probably do not use for her, how can you go wrong? you can get 100-200 for the trailer all day long.The motor is also worth a couple hundy if she has compression. The 35 is on the low end for moving her around but it will do. Just do not plan on taking a few people out with water skiing in mind. If you do keep her and run into a few bucks put a WTB on Craigs. I did looking for a 65hp and got three responses in less than 24 hours. Ended up buying two of them, one for parts if I needed any, but now that I have checked them out and there both in great shape I am looking to buy a another classic hull for one of them. Keep us posted and get some pics up.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I picked her up yesterday, but forgot my camera. I wound up trading the guy a small air compressor for the boat motor and trailer...poured transoms, I will go that route if I decide to fix her up. First I have to evaluate the rest of the boat, to see if it's worth the effort.

Congrats on your find! I love those old boats for their seaworthiness, comparatively light weight, and (to me) their good looks.

BTW- I am not a fan of the pour-in transom products. Transom wood doesn't *have* to be laminated plywood, either. I replaced my Niagara transom with 2x10 CCA and used stainless pins and waterproof adhesive to join them at the horizontal seam. I did not pull the gunwale/hull cap to do this- I cut the fiberglass on the cockpit side of the transom, leaving flanges to facilitate a strong repair. The hull is tapered, and with some careful planning and laying in the wood against the transom before installing it, plus one small 60-degree relief cut with a tongue-and-groove mating will allow you to do this without pulling the hull cap.

On my Niagara it has been almost ten years now and no sign of weakness or cracking- and the last few years have seen thousands of miles of towing and an estimated (GPS memory helps:) ) 900-1000 miles per year actually running in the water. Usually fishing :D

To complete the job, I capped the transom with fiberglass, resin, and lapped the corners with 'glass "tape" two layers. I finished by painting (oil base on the interior, Duplicolor lacquer exterior) and installed 1/4" thick 2"x3" angle full width with a center drop cut for proper motor height. The metal angle I cut out of a piece of 4x4 square aluminum tube on my table saw.

Corning is a little far for me to drive, but in reading this thread I was thinking if your were close by I would offer to help you out with this great boat. I hope you get it pretty and running and enjoy owning and using this piece of fantastic boating memorabilia.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some pics of the transom. The good news is that I fired the motor yesterday and it runs well and pumps water. A quick tune up and it should run great.

So, I'm already well ahead on this project.;)

mr 88

Commander

Judging from the aluminum plate and other visual aids your transom is probably shot. Take a pick or similiar instrument and do some probing in the exsisting holes. It may seem hard as the water in the wood is frozen but you being a wood Zen should be able to tell. If you are not going to do a full resto then she may be a candidate for a wood job. Cut the inside out and attack from there.That way you can leave the top deck in place. Again hit up the search engine as there are a few tricks. like how much inner fiberglass to leave so you have something to bond it back up with.As VT said he did it but his transom is straight, not curved.Take your time and think about it for awhile before making your descion.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

.As VT said he did it but his transom is straight, not curved.Take your time and think about it for awhile before making your descion.

I forgot that part on the Westfield... :redface:

Anyway, I would still advocate for wood- but good AC fir plywood in this case. The sheets can be put into place with adhesive or epoxy between them, clamped to the arch, and then liberally screwed together. After curing you have got one solid piece at the correct curve.

Any updates on the project or did Christmas stop all progress? :eek:

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr.88 and Bob thanks for the tips on the transom. The snow is falling now, but supposed to get a warm spell toward the end of the week. I'll take the seats out and do some cores of the floor to see what the stringers look like. I assume they will be in the same shape as the transom.

Here are a few more pics.

mr 88

Commander

I would bet that your stringers are in great condition and do not have to be touched. Fiberglass incapsulated and plugged off from the water that you get on the main deck, spells no refurb to me. Looks like the bow light is MIA. Your windshield also appears to be 'dull'. That can be brought back to new condition. Good winter basement project,start PB blasting the underside of the deck nuts so you do not shear them off. Make sure you put some old towels under them so the crap dripping off does not stain the floor. Then hit up the resto section and search windshields,many threads on it. I live in WNY and feel your pain weather wise as well.

mfgniagara

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The deck and stringers in that boat should be all fiberglass, no wood at all. They didn't go to a wood deck and stringers until the very late 60's or early 70's. I've got a 1967 Westfield Regal and its all fiberglass other than the transom core.

The transom on the Westfield and Edinboro models back then was curved, meaning you either have to do the transom layup in thin layers of wood, do it in overlapping pieces, or precurve the wood to be installed. The only other option is to pour the transom using either Seacast, Arjay, or Nida Bond.

Personally, I'd prefer to pour one of those, it would make that a totally wood free boat.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update on the Westfield. I took the aluminum plate off the transom and saw that it was covered with bondo. I chipped of the bondo and the center of the transom fell out. It was punky, rotten, frozen plywood. I then cut a section of the floor up near the transom and there was 2" of ice between the inner and outer hull. I had the boat stored with the tongue in the air, so there must have been a good bit of water in the hull.

I don't want to rebuild the transom from scratch, the inner skin is also missing and bondoed over. This boat is destined to the bone yard. On a positive note, all the hardware and windshield is going to a fellow iboater for his Westfield.

I knew it was in pretty bad shape, but the trailer is in good shape and the motor runs. All in all I came out ahead, it's just disheartening to cut up a classic. RIP Westfield.

Woody550

Cadet

I got to see the hull with Ross and indeed I'm not surprised that the best decision was to send the Westy on its way. RIP. Thanks for the hardware!