Bose 901 series v, set up question??

rbh

Fleet Admiral
So I was able to pick up a used pair of bose 901's and EQ for a great price on CL.

Now I have to set them up in the basement, 89% of the music comes out of the back and I have 9 foot concrete wall's for the reflective speakers to work off.

Anyone have these speakers and any words of wisdom???

(and do these speakers eat up the wattage or what)
(older sony amp 110 watts rms??? per side?????)

Thanks
Rob

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bose 901 series v, set up question??

ye ha!

I have owned several sets of 901's and I can tell you this, in my opinion they are some of the best speakers ever made, I currently own two sets and looking for the EQ's to match the series I have.

That said, they are power hogs! and will bottom out on you with out enough juice...the last set I ran, I had Carver 300 watt amps on each channel, but that is not to say your 110 won't work, but your going to have to play a bit to find the right placement in your basement and if your dealing with cement walls, you might have to glue some 1" foam up behind them to help with sound balance. By the way did you get the bose stands with them? If you did, then set them up 18" from the wall in the corners and adjust from there, or if you want a little less bass, set them up 18" from a flat wall and adjust to your taste..

Once you find the perfect spot, you can close your eyes and fall into the music, and feel as if your in the stadium or in that nice intimate bar with that special person beside you.

Now if you really want to make them shine, pick yourself up a set of 75 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps(hard to find) but they will really reveal the warmth that these speakers can deliver(Of course those amps sell for about 25K each :eek:)

Another thing to remember, these speakers will reveal the defects in cheap CD players as well as the cheap Walmart DVD players, if your really want them to shine, get yourself a nice turntable and pick up some old records, then you will appreciate them for what they are..

Also, bose 901's will work out great in a surround sound system, but make sure you balance them correctly and use bose mini cubes as front, center and back speakers and make sure your surround processor is up to snuff.

I am sure you will enjoy your purchase, but the 901 series is kind of like a special woman, place them correctly, stroke them right and they will provide a life of joy, abuse them and you will end up hating them...

:D

rbh

Fleet Admiral

ye ha!

I have owned several sets of 901's and I can tell you this, in my opinion they are some of the best speakers ever made, I currently own two sets and looking for the EQ's to match the series I have.

That said, they are power hogs! and will bottom out on you with out enough juice...the last set I ran, I had Carver 300 watt amps on each channel, but that is not to say your 110 won't work, but your going to have to play a bit to find the right placement in your basement and if your dealing with cement walls, you might have to glue some 1" foam up behind them to help with sound balance. By the way did you get the bose stands with them? If you did, then set them up 18" from the wall in the corners and adjust from there, or if you want a little less bass, set them up 18" from a flat wall and adjust to your taste..

Once you find the perfect spot, you can close your eyes and fall into the music, and feel as if your in the stadium or in that nice intimate bar with that special person beside you.

Now if you really want to make them shine, pick yourself up a set of 75 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps(hard to find) but they will really reveal the warmth that these speakers can deliver(Of course those amps sell for about 25K each :eek:)

Another thing to remember, these speakers will reveal the defects in cheap CD players as well as the cheap Walmart DVD players, if your really want them to shine, get yourself a nice turntable and pick up some old records, then you will appreciate them for what they are..

Also, bose 901's will work out great in a surround sound system, but make sure you balance them correctly and use bose mini cubes as front, center and back speakers and make sure your surround processor is up to snuff.

I am sure you will enjoy your purchase, but the 901 series is kind of like a special woman, place them correctly, stroke them right and they will provide a life of joy, abuse them and you will end up hating them...

:D

Its Mike isn't it??

They sound KICK AZZ, just sitting on my speakers upstairs, wonder what they will sound like set up properly.
Thank you for your input.

(5/8 dry wall will be the backing, no foam, I hope???

Rob

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Its Mike isn't it??

They sound KICK AZZ, just sitting on my speakers upstairs, wonder what they will sound like set up properly.
Thank you for your input.

(5/8 dry wall will be the backing, no foam, I hope???

Rob

Hi Rob,

Dave is my name and unfortunately for my wife of over 25 years, my passion has always been good sound!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

By the way is your 5/8th drywall insulated behind, if so, you should be just fine, if not you will get a high pitched ringing in the back ground, these are some very powerful speakers with 90% of the sound directed behind them, the whole principal behind the is the direct reflection system..and it is important to make sure the reflecting surface is done correctly...

If I can help further, don't hesitate to let me know..

rbh

Fleet Admiral

HI Dave-
Thought I would ask you a question about the EQ's, I heard that they go bad over time and you can buy a rebuild kit????
And what is the difference between the V and the VI eq's??

Thanks

Rob

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Hi RBH,

I have never had an eq go bad on any of mine, is there something going on with yours? As far as I know the only differences in the tuning range in the caps in the eq to match the newer drivers, and I have never seen an eq rebuild kit, Bose is pretty secretive about their technology, if your having a problem with yours, you probably going to have to get a hold of Bose to see what they would charge to rebuild the eq for you, I have never been able to find any parts for them on the open market, Dr. Bose contracted with certain companies to build their eq's for them using proprietary parts..

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

HI Dave-
Thought I would ask you a question about the EQ's, I heard that they go bad over time and you can buy a rebuild kit????
And what is the difference between the V and the VI eq's??

Thanks

Rob

PLEASE send or post the link or any other Eq fixes. Mine died years ago.

They are awesome...like it was said, set them up right and fall into the wall of music!

Remember, you want then to reflect, use the right material to reflect the music back to you.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer