TCP-SYN with data

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
I have recently purchased a new router made by Belkin. I has a security log feature and I have notices a couple of these logs on the firewall status log. One looks like this
TCP-SYN with data** 183.110.241.101, 64824->> 174.53.167.137, 9877 (from WAN Inbound)

I have googled this tcp syn thing but can not find any solutions as to how to prevent it from happening. Is this a thing I need to be concerned about? I have four computers and a network printer on my router. I have all the securities enabled but still need to upgrade one pc so I can go to WPA instead of 128K WEP. I read somewhere that I can configure my wireless computers as such so I can turn the wireless beacon off. If I do this will it make it harder to receive these TCP-SYN with data files?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: TCP-SYN with data

You were getting pinged by a computer in Korea. Has nothing to do with your wireless at all. The WAN inbound tells you that it wasn't wireless along with the location of the IP address. You can tell the origination of the IP address by doing a Whois lookup.

Pretty normal getting pinged like that. I had an FTP server going for awhile and it was amazing how many times I had attempted logins from Asian countries.

superbenk

Commander

WAN = Wide Area Network (ie, the Internet), not wireless. Bruce is right on. Make sure you close any inbound ports you're not using.

As for the wireless, get off WEP ASAP & try to move to WPA2, not WPA. WPA has been cracked before too. WEP is useless.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thanks Bruce. I will not worry about these firewall logs that are TCP-SYN. I bought a new wireless adapter for the older XP machine that can handle WPA2 AES. It is all set up.