Can I add another axle on my trailer

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All! I just bought a E-Loader Trailer to put my Cobalt on.I got it so Cheap(100.00) I could not pass it up.But is it possible to put another axle under it,I would have got a tandum axle trailer,but I needed one right away to get the Cobalt I bought out from where I bought it(at a farm behind a barn) LOL so I loaded it yesterday and just have to adjust it to fit better.I made it home ok about 25 miles,but wow I sure need to get it up front more I unhooked the trailer at the storage and it lifted me right off the ground!LOL a little to much weight towards the back.But I really would like to put another axle underneath it if this is possible..Heres a fews pics

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 3k93o33p75V15W45P6ac1fb4e838374ca180f.jpg
    3k93o33p75V15W45P6ac1fb4e838374ca180f.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can I add another axle on my trailer

Ayuh,... Anything is Possible, But,...
That won't help make the trailer any heavier duty...

You can slide the current axle back farther for better balance though...

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bond-0 sounds like the winner to me

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can add another axle, but you only really need to if the single isn't sufficient for the weight. You need to find out what the axel is rated for, what the trailer is rated for (GVWR) and see if it's sufficient for the boat. If not, it may require more than just a second axle to make it sufficient for your boat. Good luck and be safe with it.

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks I am going to the storage today and find out exactly what the trailer is rated for i believe it is sufficent for the boat, my boat weighs 2,900 dry weight. I just think I need to adjust the rollers a little and possibly do what Bond-0 said move the axle back if I can"t get the winch holder moved forward ,but I think it is adjustable. And yes I want it to be safe,not only for my boat but for the other people traveling on the roads !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't think I'd use that trailer for that boat again. Consider the $100 the rent for a temporary trailer. Now that you have time, look for a proper trailer and sell/trade the old one. It's not worth the time and materials to modify that one.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think I'd use that trailer for that boat again. Consider the $100 the rent for a temporary trailer. Now that you have time, look for a proper trailer and sell/trade the old one. It's not worth the time and materials to modify that one.

Good advice here^^^^

That trailer doesn't look adaptable to that boat.
It will cost more than it's worth to re-fit it.
The side rails don't even come close to the chine of the boat, the tongue is too short, I can't tell from the picture, but I don't think the stern rollers are near the stern.

Look for something that will fit...not something that will take major re-work!

tcgobucks

Seaman

^^^What he said.

It looks like you can maybe move the boat forward a few inches, but based on the fact that you said "it lifted me off the ground" I don't think that that will be nearly enough. Also, the axle looks like it's about right for a trailer that size...not sure you'd want to move it back further. Looks to me like the boat is about 3' too long for that trailer. I'd look for a different trailer and sell the one you have for $400-500 in the spring.

thesledhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate to say it but I think you need to start over. If the boat is 2900 dry then you can assume it will be around 3300 loaded with gear and gas. It looks like you have a standard 3500lb axle on the trailer and that weight rating is boat and trailer. Your maxed out. you could add a axle and springs for around 400 if you can cut, weld and preform all the work. But the trailer will still be a trailer frame that was built for a 2500lb or less boat. However I could be wrong about your axle :confused: How many lugs are on the wheel?

If you do add a axle I could help you out finding one I build trailers and do this stuff everyday.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ok Number one your boat is not seated on the pillar, it has to move forward two/three inches and seat in the bucket.

Second- does that trailer have a suspension at all?

third-I don't think you have enough room to move the pillar forward enough to load the trailer tongue properly before your on top of the hitch and thats not good you will need room on your tongue to tow properly.

Conclusion- get a new trailer this one may not work for you however there is an idea that may work perfectly for your situation. Purchase a tongue hinge kit
available here on Iboats-http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/*******.835485844--current_category.tongue%20swing--keywords.tongue%20hinge%20kit--search_in_category.f--searched.1--**********.184020240
remove the hitch on the tongue and install this directly onto the end of the main beam of the trailer and purchase more box tube to extend the tongue another 24"s or so. Move the pillar forward probably to the hinge kit and weigh your tongue weight.

I think your still putting more into this trailer then is wise as you can purchase another more appropriate trailer for much less work and probably less money in time and parts. That trailer would scare the heck out of me its really narrow.

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I got my boat back from the welding shop today<I had them extend the tongue 1 1/2 feet,it costs me 75.00 the material was included,they even balanced the boat on it for the proper tongue weight. They said this trailer will have no problems with the weight and size of boat.The only thing left to do is mount my new fenders on and extend the wiring harness.I would appreciate any thoughts or input...............Thanks I put one before pic on here too,oops that last pic that I added was on my other boat and trailer Damnit LOL

Attachments

• Picture 672.jpg
    Picture 672.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2
  • sdc10195.jpg
    sdc10195.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1
  • sdc10194.jpg
    sdc10194.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2
  • sdc10193.jpg
    sdc10193.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Looks like they did a nice job! As for the wiring harness do you have any idea how old the wiring harness is? It could be a good opportunity to just replace it all, but if not then use the same size wire, you can either solder the wires together or use butt splices either is fine but butt splices are quicker and just as good, use heat shrink with heat activated glue to seal your splices, pretty simple job, I use a dielectric grease in my connectors.

Don't forget to paint the tongue before the rust gets a foot hold on the steel!

reel clownz

Seaman

uhh yeah you can but here is what i did....I had a starcraft islander 22.5 ft 3800 lbs with fuel gear blah blah lah... well it came from lake ontario and the my friend need a trailer to get it here..so the marina had one not big enough..rated at 3250 single axle. well for one trip it was fine. SO he sold me that boat he had a 27ft sea ray too. anyways i was on my way home from lake erie one day and blam there goes the bearing. Well even before i noticed the wheels were slightly cambered in some but i thought nothing of it. Well big mistake. Anyways you have to buy a whole tandem axle kit. You need the shackles and springs and hangers for a tandem axle. By the way if you look at some of the trailer place online you can find them reasonable. Mark the center line of where the axle is now. Thats where you middle hanger goes. They give you dimensions of where to put the other spring hangers. Ohh and yes it will make the trailer have a heavier capacity. Most trailer manufacturers make several models of the same trailer the frames are the same they just change the springs and the axles. I put 2 2500lb axles on mine. Its too much pain in the butt to add one axle.. You have to buy the tandem axle it.. It makes it alot easier. Trust me.

cwd60tx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks! yes its all new wiring and I have some left over that I had before I extended the tongue. its regular wiring for trailers that the 4 wires are attached to each other,alls I have to is add a piece in there and that will be done,and I went down and got a can of cold galvined spray paint to cover it.Today its raining so I will have to wait to do it. Thanks for your advice LippCJ7