On my way to pick up older Evinrude...

dgjones

Seaman
Hello, I'm going to take a look at an evinrude 9.5 outboard that looks like it is in its early 70's. It has that low profile look to it. The motor has been in this old guy's basement for 15 years. What should I be looking for when I give this motor the once over. Are there any tell tale signs that I should look for when examining this older motor??

Thanks

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: On my way to pick up older Evinrude...

In storage 15 years assume it'll need an impeller. Do a compression test, within 10% is good. Check to make sure it at least has spark.

dgjones

Seaman

I wish I had a compression tester. The gentlemen stated that it does fire up but he has not run it for an extended period of time because he didn't have it in a bucket.

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the gear oil, If it sat with water in it for 15 years, it's gonna need help.

jbjennings

Captain

+1 on the gear oil and compression test. I'd like to add that you might want to rock the powerhead a little and see how much it moves. It should move a little, but not sloppy. They're bad about breaking the front rubber motor mount and they're NLA as far as I know, and hard to replace. Also, the exhaust gasket in the mid section is bad about going out and difficult to fix or find the part for it. I don't know how to test that, other than to run it in a barrel with a fan blowing the fumes away and see if it'll run with the cover on. In case you can't tell, I'm not a 9.5 OMC fan. They don't have a lot of power for a 9.5hp motor.
Good luck,
JBJ

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the owner said he`s run it with not being in a bucket for a bit, the impeller is now shot and will need to be replaced which in would need to be changed anyways after sitting for so long. Something to think about when negotiating the price.

dgjones

Seaman

well I negotiated a good price for the motor and I now own it. I did not run a compression test but the compression does feel high when I pull the cord slowly. The model number is 93228. The serial number is J011867. What can you guys tell me about this motor? Where is a good place to order an impeller for it?

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How much is he asking? Any motorcan be good, if the price is right.

dgjones

Seaman

its a sporttwin 9.5 that is immaculate. I gave him 200 bucks for it. How do I figure out the year? Model number is 93228 or it might be 9322B..i can't tell. Serial Number is J011867

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Model 9323B, 9.5 HP 1973
Impeller and tune up stuff are all here at iboats.

dgjones

Seaman

Saweet!! Thanks for the info!! Are these good motors? Its my first gas motor on my 12 foot boat. Can you describe to me how the water is pumped throughout the motor. I know the impeller pushes the water, but what powers the impeller??

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice motor, i would get a FACTORY manual for your year/model. You can find em on ebay for cheap sometimes. It will describe in detail how to change water pump for your exact motor. Should be ~$20 for impeller,~$40-50 for impeller with pump housing.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you got the answer to where above, the impeller is pretty much the water pump, I doubt you will actually need the housing it sits in.

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It wil definately need at least a new impeller, and internal fuel lines if it sat for that long. Also gear oil, and prob a carb kit as the gaskets have prob dried out. New plugs would be beneficial as well. All said if u do it urself, prob looking at 50 or so dollars. And a few hours. Your motor honestly would not be my first choice, the shorties had alot less room to work inside of. But, for 200 not too bad. Just remember 50-1 oil mix.

jbjennings

Captain

They are good motors when they'e in good shape. You might have gotten a good one. The powerhead spins a stainless steel drive shaft which goes down through the midsection into the lower unit. The impeller slides onto the driveshaft which is always spinning when the motor is running. The impeller pushes water out of the pump housing and up a copper tube which runs alongside the driveshaft up to the powerhead. Most of the water goes out underneath the powerhead and into the midsection and out the lower unit. Some goes out the pump indicator tube so you know it's pumping. The motor will crank easy, idle smoothly, and run nice. It just won't have near as much power as a 10hp motor. It feels more like an 8hp or even a 7.5hp to me. It will probably plane your boat unless you're really heavy or all the weight is in the back of the boat. It would plane a lightweight 14ft. boat with no problem.
Good luck,
JBJ

dgjones

Seaman

Thanks to everyone for the information...and now I know how an impeller actually works.:D I'll keep you posted if I have any issues....

dgjones

Seaman

How hard is it to change the impeller on these things? I've seen the parts diagram and wow!! it looks a llittle tough

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Easy to change the impeller most of the time. Remove the lower unit (4 bolts and the shift rod coupler bolt), take off the water pump housing (4 screws), replace the impeller, and reassemble.

dgjones

Seaman

Ok I'm on it...I was going to order an impeller from iboats but they are out of stock..

kfa4303

Banned

check amazon. I've found lots of parts there. Napa autoparts also carries Sierra replacement parts as well. Keep us posted.