25hp johnson 1990

ctrevis7

Seaman
i just purchased a 1990 25hpjohnson manual start and am having trouble keeping the bulb firm and primed i dont think its the motor but the hose is brand new what could be my problem? Tank? not enough gas in the tank? i have about 1 gallon of gas in a six gallon tank, alsodoes anyone know the corect oile to gas ratio i need to mix for this outboard?

Thanks for all your help

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 25hp johnson 1990

50:1 is ratio; it's on the back of the oil can. one pint to six gallons.

Is the engine running and sucking the bulb flat or is the engine dieing? The bulb is not supposed to stay firm once the engine is primed; it just becomes another part of the fuel line. Make sure the tank vent is fully opened. Someone else will probably chime in with more info or want more info in order to help you. Good Luck.

ctrevis7

Seaman

Thanks Will! no the engine i dont think is sucking it flat, it wont even prime unless i flip the can upside down where the hose conects to it, thats the only time it will prime, if its flat it wont prime for some reason.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Add more gas to tank, sounds like pick-up tube is too short to reach the gas. Don't forget the oil!

ctrevis7

Seaman

ivealsotried venting it andtaking thecapoff to prime it

ctrevis7

Seaman

yes sire will do thanksWill, i didnt see a pickup tube in the can is that bad? can i get a replacement tube or do i need a new can?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

No tube, no gas to motor; tube may be laying in the bottom of tank after falling off. No tube get a new tank.

ctrevis7

Seaman

thanks guys i really apreciate it, i have one more question i figured out the can wasmisssing the tube that sucks up the gas but my next question is, i ttok it out today for about 20 min or so and it seems to cough alot even while running at slow speeds, also runs better with the choke somewhat oulled out then al the way in. What could this be?

Thanks guys i really apreciate all youguys help

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like the carb jets are gummed up. if it's coughing, It's running lean. Which is not good for the engine so you should get it cleaned out.

ctrevis7

Seaman

does that cost alot of money to do? can i do it myself? if so how might i do it?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions

jasper60103

Commander

Rebuilding a carb is not difficult. I did one myself not long ago with little knowledge about outboards, but I have a manual and that helps a lot.

A Carb kit for motor cost about $19 here on iBoats, or you can buy a OEM kit from your dealer. Also, I'm sure the folks here on the forum can help you with questions you may have. Good luck.