Crankcase damage

Mr. Slabs

Cadet
Here is the damage done by rods and screws that came loose due to water inside cylinder. You have metal worn away and I have a few cracks as well.:eek: Please advice on my option of repair.:confused:

Attachments

• crank case 2.jpg
    crank case 2.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Crankcase damage

I find it difficult to believe that water caused the screws to come loose. Has somebody previously had it apart and failed to torque the screws to specifications? Nevertheless, water will cause severe damage to the bearings. If your crankshaft, connecting rod, and roller bearings are not in perfect condition, you don't have anything to fix. Notice I said "perfect". Nothing less will do.

Otherwise, if the parts are indeed perfect, you can patch the cracks with Marine Tex or JB Weld---if they are not in a structeral area. A close examination would be required to make that decision.

Mr. Slabs

Cadet

I really appreciate you guys and all your great advice:). I agree with you someone must have been inside power head before but crankshaft, rods, one piston have been examined my machine shop and met specs. So I need one piston kit and some JD weld. Any advise on how to properly install the weld and what is best method of smoothing after application?:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion, and due to past experience, you would be better off to use Gray Marine-Tex instead of JB Weld...... Gray meaning the color of the Marine-Tex which I find to be stronger (in my opinion) than the White Marine-Tex.

Marine-Tex can be drilled, tapped, etc.... great stuff. Shape and contour as good as possible when patching, then sand and file as needed.

At one time, just as an experiment and no charge, using masking tape as a backup material (can't patch a hole if nothing is in back of it), I patched a hole in a 225hp crankcase for a close friend with this Gray Marine-Tex, the widest portion of this hole being about 2.5" (big hole). Amazingly the crank on this engine was okay, and the parts needed that resulted in this hole was replaced with used parts I had laying around. I figured that the patch would probably last a few weeks at the most. I was to get the engine back to use for parts later so there was no compromise of expertise, reputation, etc..... just an experiment between friends.

Of course, the Marine-Tex was applied in layers

This experiment was back in 1990...... I wish that damn thing would blow up someday, I could use the parts!:)

Mr. Slabs

Cadet

LOL Seems like you wont be getting that motor. I really appreciate the advice i will post and let you know how engine does. Thanks a million!:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I also believe the grey is stronger. Important if patching holes. But if using it as a surface sealer over cracks, it really isn't that much of an issue.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

....and some JD weld. Any advise on how to properly install the weld and what is best method of smoothing after application?:confused:

It's actually called JB Weld....named after one of the Moderators in here....;):D

Mr. Slabs

Cadet

Please forgive me Im just a mere novice. But I will give the product a try.:)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Joe, I agree with you. I've always found the Gray Marine-Tex to be stronger too and have used it on a heck of a lot of things over the years.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Use the Marine-Tex as needed, inside and out "BUT" contour as good as possible inside as it hardens like steel and would be difficult to shape due to its location once it hardens. Make a contoured tool, curved just right for that inside work... a piece of lattice wood might be ideal.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

... or a piece of plastic (i.e. like a credit card) or a disposable plastic putty knife. It will conform to the inner surface when used as a flexed scraper.

Mr. Slabs

Cadet

Thank you guys for all the good advice but I have another problem I didnt notice damage inside cylinder what is best options for repair? Can I use the Marine-Tex also?

Attachments

• cylinder wall.jpg
    cylinder wall.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That notch at the top of one of the ports..... I don't recall that being a normal machined area. Is the other cylinder identical?

The scuffing.... Honing will take care of that.

THe question about using Marine-Tex in that area.... No, you can't do that.

Mr. Slabs

Cadet

No thats part of the damage that notch is not normal. Do you think Tig welding is an options to repair and then replace sleeve?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Always an option, just depends on what one is willing to put into the engine $$$ wise.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully other members will jump in with suggestions. All I can think of is to have it resleeved if that's at all possible (sleeve availability?)..... or find a good used block.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

A bit of and "OUCH" there. you may possibly have to hunt down a new block, so keep that in mind.

I love the looks of mangled metal. No two pieces look the same.:D