'91 Cajun Travis Edition

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
Just bought this bass boat (15'3") and took it for a test spin...I have the trim all the way down and after it planes out, the boat starts to propoise...Is this normal for this bass boat....never driven a bass boat before :)...it was getting cold so I drove in, didnt mess around with the trim any....

I googled this cajun model for a reveiw but cant find anything...hopefully, someone has experience with this model bass boat and give me some advice....thanks in advance...

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: '91 Cajun Travis Edition

Move some weight to the bow, trim tabs, 4 blade prop.
Any or all of these, or all of them should fix it right up.

Trimming up will make it worse, trust me.

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice

thanks....I can fill the bow livewell....that should add extra wieght.... will try new propeller if the extra weight doesnt help...

whats a trim tab....any links....thanks

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice

just googled the trim tabs....I wonder if I have one already....The boat came with this attachement to the outboard but I'm not sure what its is....I need to take a pic and post....

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice

My guess for the attachement is a hydrofoil....would this help with the porpoising....I know on a jetski, it helps....

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice

thanks....I found this article....posting for future reference for someone else:

So why might you want to have a hydrofoil on your outboard motor? It will typically solve 3 different problems.

The first common problem is that many boats tend to be stern heavy due to the placement of motors, fuel and passengers. Because of this, they will plane with the bow high and the stern low. This can reduce efficiency and can also block the operator's view of the water ahead. The hydrofoil stabilizer will act to lift the boat by its stern, helping to level out the trim.

The second common problem is that some boats are prone to porpoising, which is where the bow will repeatedly rise, then drop back to a more level position. This leads to a rough ride, impaired handling and loss of efficiency. By exerting a steady upward lift on the stern, the hydrofoil fin will stabilize the boat, eliminating this problem/

Third, some boats have trouble getting out of the "hole". That is, when the operator accelerates to reach a plane, the bow comes up but the stern stays deeper in the water, causing drag.

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice

OK, it finally got warm and I took the cajun out for a test spin. I installed the easy troller with fins that came with the boat...I have the troller plate up so I can go fast...

Its still porpoising....is the easy fin not good for this....do I have to get to get a bigger hydrofoil....any suggestions....thanks

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Lose the POS fin and Smart Tab it!

(this opinion from a certified fin hater... and as always JMHO)

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Couple of thoughts - sometimes the hydrofoils help, sometimes they make matters worse. I'd unbolt it and try it. Only takes a few minutes and you'll know.

Also, try playing with the trim. On my Procraft, it will porpoise at different speeds, at different trims. I'm constantly adjusting trim as I'm moving to keep it stable. I haven't found a speed yet that I can't control, but it's a dance with the trim to do so.

Lastly, and I hope this isn't the case, but with that old of a boat, another possibility is that the hull has a hook in it - the hull could be misshaped either from a manufacturing defect or from impproper storage (too long on a trailer and full of water, etc). This could be checked by someone knowledgeable in hull construction.

Good luck.