1998 90hp Ocean pro stalls

skot1976

Recruit
Hi, I need advice to help diagnose a problem I have.

I had the boat out 1 week before this and experienced no such problems.

The motor started and idled fine, however 5 mins later I opened it up to about 3500 rpms and 30 seconds later the engine slowly stalled. It sounded as if it ran out of fuel.
Sure enough the hand primer was limp but wouldnt prime. On further inspection the external fuel filter had some water mixed/trapped in it.
I checked flow from the fuel tank to the external filter - OK. I could also prime from the hand primer to the inlet of the fuel filter on the engine.
I couldn't get it going so I took it home.

The fuel is good. I have now replaced the filter with a water seperator with clear bowl and installed a new hand primer. It starts, revs up and idles fine on the trailer with the hose connected.

The same problem has happenned again on the water.

Has anyone got any suggestions or diagnostic help please.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 90hp Ocean pro stalls

reving up on the trailer in neutral means nothing, and indeed it should not be done, at a guess I would say the carbs have dirt/water in them, so clean them and get a remote tank and hose with fresh fuel and give it a try, also remove the plugs and have a look at them, are they all the same?

R1racer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just like noelm said ..Trash might got stuck in the carb or water ...take them apart good cleaning ...Plugs you will be golden ...

skot1976

Recruit

Thanks Guys for your help.

I replaced the hand primer and some fuel line, drained the carbs and installed a filter/water seperator. plugs all looked good. The next time I took it out it seemed a bit hesitant to co-operate at low rpms. It ran normal at high rpms. The roughness and missing slowly dissapeared after about half an hour. I used it every day for 7 days without any hint of problems, it seems as though it has fixed itself.

I guess the true test will be next time I take it out after it has been sitting for a while.