Grew up with 1929 16' dodge runabout

mominsunvalley

Recruit
I was thrilled to find your forum site since I grew up with a 1929, 16'3" Dodge Runabout with a 4 cylinder Lycoming engine. My father purchased it used in 1935 and kept it through the 1960's. We lived in San Diego, CA (saltwater, ugh) but the boat was kept in our garage. Unfortunately, he traded it for a fiberglass Chris Craft "plain Jane" boat that he used for fishing. Oh how I wish I had talked him into keeping "Gee Gee" and how I wonder what ever became of her. As I read your posts there seem to be few of these model boats surviving but somehow I feel our boat is out there somewhere. Not sure what I expect from any responses other than to reminisce with others of a fabulously unique boat and the happy times she brought me.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Grew up with 1929 16' dodge runabout

I grew up with a 1939 Wagemaker that was also sold in the 1960's. I have wondered the same thing and have searched a little as well. Unfortunately, I live in NY and the DMV won't release old records, so it's almost impossible to trace old boats.

To satisfy my hunger, 5 years ago as I was preparing for retirement I searched out and bought a boat that was just like it. Same model, but not the same year or same boat! Since then I restored it and have taken it to many boat shows.

The second largest antique boat show in the country is held in Buffalo, NY each year. Sponsored by the ACBS. They feature a different manufacturer each year. Mine was featured 2 years ago and as it turned out I took a first place in my category. The year before, with fewer entries, I took best in show.

The 2010 show featured Dodge! I was quite impressed with the quality of those old and beautiful boats. I would guess there were maybe 15 of them displayed. That's in contrast to 50 when Chris Craft was the featured boat, or 35 when Lyman was featured. So, anyway, they are still around!

If you ever want to go east for a vacation, treavel to Clayton, NY. That's the site of the antique boat museum. It's the largest display in the world, and you'll see a few Dodges there for sure.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Grew up with 1929 16' dodge runabout

Memories like these are why we boat. Sharing them with each other is why we iboat. Thanks for sharing yours and welcome aboard. Don't be a stranger.:)