2006 F115 water pump rebuild needed ???

hawilson2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I changed the water pump at 100 hours (12/2008) as a precautionary measure. No issues since and still have very good water pressure by a gauge. How often years and/or hours should the water pump be changed as part of regular maintenance? I now have 350 hours on the engine so it has been 250 hours or 2 years since last changing it out. It is not hard but it is $100.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2006 F115 water pump rebuild needed ???

Have you looked at your owners manual? It will give all recommended maintenance intervals

robert graham

Admiral

That's a favorite debatable question. I just replaced my water pump impeller after about 5 years, it was still pumping fine, but now I feel better about it and doing the job myself was a satisfaction(job wasn't really very difficult). I think a good reasonable answer to your question would be to replace it every 2 or 3 years, depending on your motor's usage. Some folks recommend every year, especially if you were a saltwater commercial fisherman or the like. If your motor is used in a saltwater environment then it's a good idea to drop the lower unit at least every couple of years to ensure all your bolts, screws and fasteners don't get locked up with corrosion and causing them to break off upon removal. I wire brush the threads on all the bolts and apply Waterproof Marine grease to re-assemble. Good Luck!

magnumrapala

Cadet

Ive always been told 3-5 years depending on the use. If you hit bottom alot and suck up alot of sand or mud it can take it's toll on the impeller. with a yamaha it is very easy to change the impeller and you will save alot of money. Im pretty sure all you need is a 14mm wrench and a 12 and 14mm socket to change it (an extension helps alot to get the tab off). it helps to put the motor in foward before dropping the lower unit so you can turn the prop if the driveshaft does not line up.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

They really aren't that hard to do yourself. And anyone who works on their own gear gets a lot better knowledge of it. That leads to confidence when something is going wrong, you have a better idea of how to work around the problem.

Here is a link I have posted on another forum. I took an easy day to do my twins. My biggest problem was the woodruff key was froZen on both motors and took a good bit of work to remove them. Trust me, I tried all the proven methods. They had to be cut out.
So, if you flush well and keep after it, you can probably go 3 - 5 yrs. Hopefully you won't experience the problems I had...

http://www.thehulltruth.com/shipyard-isl-marine-engine-parts/274983-yamaha-f-115s-maintenance.html

Good luck!