Can't drop my outdrive all the way in the driveway

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Not that there's a problem with the hydraulics: the driveway itself gets in the way. If I have the boat trailer level the skeg hits the driveway well before the outdrive is completely lowered. Lowering the jack on the front of the trailer all the way gives me a little more room but it still doesn't allow me to lower the outdrive completely.

I have considered folding the jack and allowing the tongue of the trailer to rest on a slab but I am not convinced I can pick the tongue back up by myself. That sucker is heavy!

I have a hydraulic floor jack I might be able to use to help but I wonder what others have done in this situation? My driveway is a compressed sand/gravel mix that I could dig into but that isn't a desirable option to me. I don't want to leave a hole in the driveway that would just fill with water the first time it rains.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can't drop my outdrive all the way in the driveway

Buy a set of those plastic auto repair ramps for about 20 bucks and back the trailer onto them. That will raise the rear at least 8 inches. Then, do what you want at the front to keep the boat either level or slightly tilted down at the stern to drain any water.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Can you block up the axle?

jayhanig

Can you block up the axle?

That's a thought. I think I can. I jacked the trailer up when I changed the rims earlier this fall.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT store the boat with the bow lower than the stern unless you live in the desert where it never rains. The bow should be slightly high so water drains to the bilge and out the drain. Get a couple hundred pounds of water up front and you WILL need a jack to raise it and you will have a skunky smelling boat.

captainzac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

determine how high you need to go

Lets say 8 inches

cut scape 2x6 (5 of them for each side) top plate should be the lenth of your wheel span
The next one 1ft longer the next one 1ft longer ect.

then take 5 peices make a block for the front stand

you should be able to back up the trailer on the blocks

Harry

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Yes to jackstands and pull the wheels off for inside storage.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...why not just remove the lower unit for the off season? Or better yet, the complete out drive....gotta do it anyway sometime soon for annual inspections!! :)

jayhanig

...why not just remove the lower unit for the off season? Or better yet, the complete out drive....gotta do it anyway sometime soon for annual inspections!! :)

ACKKK!!!! That's the last thing I really want to do. I just had the transom rebuilt and gimbal bearing replaced. The engine has been winterized. I don't want to pull anything off if I can help it.

My current plan is to jack up the trailer and put the wheels up on blocks (cut off pilings). I want to get it up high enough to drop the outdrive completely and angle the boat high in the bow; low in the stern to allow drainage.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you got it.

tcgobucks

Seaman

Not that it matters for this problem since you seem to have figured it out....but if your boat is the 176 listed in your profile and it sure seems like you should be able to lift the front of the trailer. Just curious :)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I store mie with O/D as low as it will possibly go before hitting the ground but during the season while @ home I have made a boat port along side of my garage where it sits for the spring and summer this was done for under $100.00 6-2x6's and some scrap 2x4's and 6 tons of gravel and dust the hieght of the pad so to say is just enough as I measured to allow the drive to be fully lowered while parked and with a 3" rise of the bow. J I don't know that this will be an option for you but it serves me well and it's a perfect outline for my future boat garage when $ isn't so tight all I need now is a roof and some walls and later a door.

Last edited:

a70eliminator

Captain

I raise the tongue high as it will go and the drive doesn't go all the way down either but not a big deal to me, keeping the deck drained is my priority. If the bellows are hard and dry enough to become set than they were on their last leg anyhow.

jayhanig

Not that it matters for this problem since you seem to have figured it out....but if your boat is the 176 listed in your profile and it sure seems like you should be able to lift the front of the trailer. Just curious :)

I've lived through two plane crashes, crushed my hip and right arm, went through a couple dozen surgeries, skin and bone grafts, etc. I'm not the man I used to be. :eek:

right_arm_[800x600]-PGGna.jpg

I'm not the train wreck that you may imagine but I've definitely lost some power over the years. I used to be strong as an ox. Just can't do some things anymore.:cool:

jayhanig

I store mie with O/D as low as it will possibly go before hitting the ground but during the season while @ home I have made a boat port along side of my garage where it sits for the spring and summer this was done for under $100.00 6-2x6's and some scrap 2x4's and 6 tons of gravel and dust the hieght of the pad so to say is just enough as I measured to allow the drive to be fully lowered while parked and with a 3" rise of the bow. J I don't know that this will be an option for you but it serves me well and it's a perfect outline for my future boat garage when $ isn't so tight all I need now is a roof and some walls and later a door.

Can you post some pictures? I may be able to create a spot depending on what it looks like.

jayhanig

I've been getting my bunk hardware replaced at one of the local boat places and I mentioned my problem to them. There is room to raise the boat a few inches. My counterthought was that my local boat ramp is improperly sloped and I have to get my truck's rear tires in the water to float the boat off as it is. The wheel hubs stay dry but I really can't back up another inch.

We finally decided the best thing to do was to leave the trailer height alone and so I'm back to putting the tires on blocks to create the necessary space.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have the same issue with an I/O boat I had a few years ago. My solution was to lay down some railroad ties with a few short pieces cut to form ramps. It raised the boat up just enough to allow the drive to go all the way down. I also put down a few patio blocks flush with the ground right under the drive to keep dirt from splashing up all over the prop and drive when it rained.

I sold that boat but still use those timbers to park my one boat on now, it keeps the boat higher off the ground and it stays much cleaner when it rains.

I picked up a trailer full of 4" thick patio blocks just before it got cold, my plan was to make pads for all my trailers to park on but I just never got the time before the weather turned. Its a spring project now.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don' tknow I/O's but does it need to be all the way down? Why not lower it as far as it goes and let the skeg rest on a scrap 2x4? But i think you have to be sure you won't trap water in the lower unit (through the prop) that might freeze.
If it's dry now, can you cover the opening?
Keeping in mind, you seldom get hard freezes there?
Your biggest risk is accumulating water in the hull--the keel's slant to drain is top priority.