carb question

ericspainter

Cadet
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...THRU 0E202999/CARBURETOR - 40 H.P./parts.html
ok i have cleaned the carb with wd 40 and it will idle fine but when you put it in water it has no power just boggs down and dies when you put it in gear.my buddy can put his finger in carb mouth and it will run 27 mph like that.lol now i cant have a finger in there all the time ya no.im wondering if on part #9 has some seal around part #24.only place i see gas coming from is through #9 and i no the needle part #24 is clean b/c i can spray wd 40 in it and it comes out of the 3 little holes on back side and on top of the shutter plate.wat do you guys think my problem is im stumped and i dnt want to pay for something that is probably easy to fix.thanks eric

foodfisher

Captain
Re: carb question

Remove the m and change the e to i. Now, take your finger out of your mouth and let us help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What was it doing that you needed to clean the carb?
The basics.Compression test then spark test.Probably not the problem but you need to do it anyway.
The fuel system.First the carb:anything in the bowl when you cleaned it?
The fuel pump:the diaphram,change it.Any old or soft hoses.Change the squeezie,if it's old.J

robert graham

Admiral

Carbs need to be removed, disassembled and cleaned. You have a lean fuel mixture caused by plugged jets that you are overcoming by choking carb with your finger. Lean condition is not good and can damage your motor. Have you ever tried to drain carbs?, do you have a fuel/water separater? Have carbs ever been cleaned? Good Luck!

ericspainter

Cadet

ok i tried to take it out and it wouldnt run when i put it in gear.so i removed and cleaned carb to wat i think was a good clean but i dnt no.yes when i cover the carb mouth i no im leaning it to make it go.i only did that for a short time to try and blow it out ya no maybe 2 3 minutes at most and it didnt work.hope i didnt hurt it ? thats why in my original post im wondering if there is a seal around the needle b/c gas is pouring out.i rebuilt carb float and tested it and fuel ball is staying stiff.i also replaced all fuel line on motor aswell trying to eliminate all problems.i no its not compression b/c it runs to good and idles perfect.i no im just missing something small .maybe i need to re clean carb again.boat and motor sat for 5 years with gas in it.

o and someone asked if bowl was dirty when i cleaned first time and yes it was filthy bad filthy along with gewed up fuel hoses.

foodfisher

Captain

If you're local, beer is on me. Sticking a finger in the carb. opens the butterfly, alloying more air into the carb. To me it sounds like the motor is running too rich/flooding. Do the link and sync. as per sticky.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take it apart and use carb cleaner on everything.The low speed jet is probably clogged.
#9 should have a small hoe or holes in it that might be plugged.
Clean that and make sure that the air screw is reset right.
All the way in till it just bottoms and then out 1 and 1/16 turn out.
Final adjustment is done in the water.Get a manual.
Always include make, model and serial#J

ericspainter

Cadet

im in arkansas man wish i was local.

ok so there are holes in # 9 that helps.i cant unscrew ( b/c needle sets down to low.i would need like a flat head that is open in the center if you get wat im saying .any tricks to get it out.the year is 96 40 hp mercury force dnt have the model at this second but the carb pic is for my model.my manual should be here any day it was on back order or something.thanks alot i feel like im getting closer to my problem.now i need time to mess with it .

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tip cleaner for a torch set.
You can bend the very tip of the smallest cleaner and try to put it in the jet from the side.
That small tube in the middle of the jet could be clogged as well.Be careful not to remove or damage this.
Use any off the shelf cleaner.Don't use a soak it can cause damage to the needle/seat base.
You might need to adapt a screwdriver.Cut a slot in the middle.Just make sure that the screwdriver is wide enough.J

ericspainter

Cadet

ya well i got my motoe manual yesterday lol well its a owners manual.well it didnt help any but it showed me how to test my over heat alarm and hey it works lol.ya im gonna play with carb this weekend and hopefully reply back with a good running engine.thanks guys

ericspainter

Cadet

well cleaned carb real good and maid a tool to remove the part we were talking about and it was gunked up bad.put her back and out to lake this morning and she runs like a champ.needs a little more fine tuning on air /fuel needle but she runs good.thanks for all the help guys you got me running.