problem fixed, thanks all

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice
I have spark on the left head, none on the right side. left side will jump 1/2" gap, right side nothing. I swapped powerpacks from right to left, and the problem stayed with the right side. I removed the flywheel, stator, and the timimg trigger. ohmed out the trigger, and my readings are consistant from the right side to the left side. I dont want to replace parts that may not be bad, I dont have a service manual, so I'm not sure what the values should be, so if anyone can give me any help, I would greatly appreciate it

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 115 johnson problem

I have a 1974 Johnson 115 factory service manual. If the motors are the same.....(I don't know if they are).....I can tell you what's in my manual.

Let me know.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1974 Johnson 115 factory service manual. If the motors are the same.....(I don't know if they are).....I can tell you what's in my manual.

Let me know.
doesnt appear to be the same, but if you could give me the speced resistance values I would appreciate it anyway

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

This might get complicated......From your previous diagnosis you say you have spark on 2 cylinders. Troubleshooting steps in manual for "spark on 2 cylinders" is as follows....(doesn't specify in manual same side....just says "no spark 2 cylinders"

1.Sensor coil
2.Power Pack

Apparently you need a special neon tester with a 3 position switch and 3 load buttons. It gets kind of complicated and if you know the tester I'm talking about, and have one I will continue.

But I think it might be easier if I just copied the pages and posted them or emailed them to you.

You also need the neon tester for the initial Power Pack tests.

And these are just the initial tests...there are more using an ohm meter which are supposed to be performed after the initial tests.

If you think the information from my manual will help let me know and I will copy the pages.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

by switching the power packs, and the problem staying on the same side, I feel confident that its the trigger, but not enough to buy one without testing it. my email is jeremy_nash_69 hotmail.com if you could send them. I may be able to track down the tester if need be.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

My motor only has 1 power pack. If yours has 2 the tests may be completely different since they involve testing certain terminal numbers. Seems the terminal numbers would be different 1 power pack or 2.

My power pack has 12 terminals. Coils connect to terminals 3, 5, 10 and 11 and sensors connect to 2, 4, 9 and 12.

Sound anything like yours?

by switching the power packs, and the problem staying on the same side, I feel confident that its the trigger, but not enough to buy one without testing it. my email is xxxxxx if you could send them. I may be able to track down the tester if need be.

You need to delete your email address from this and use PM's. You WILL be hit by the spam bots if you leave your email address on here.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Sent you pm's. I totally missed your earlier pm till now.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A 1980 factory manual may show testing with a neon tester-which few people have access to. CDI electronics has some good troubleshooting information on line at their website. Pages 37-55. The CDI tests are all voltage and ohm tests-similar to those tests found in the later (by 1986) OMC factory manuals. I prefer the voltages tests. These tests are easily performed if you have a special "peak-reading" voltmeter.

Lostfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I basically had the same problem. Heres a link to the thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=451449

For me the answer was I put a smeared a high temp rtv gasket behind the sensor on the trigger plate in case it was grounding, I also moved the sensors forward and put a little bit of good quality grease on the face of the sensors so that they get a better connection with the trigger magnet on the flywheel. Whatever it was it worked.

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To bad you took it apart. the easiest way to test the sensors is to take all the spark plug wires off the engine and just start switching around sensor wires through the cdi that's working until you find what isn't working.

Take one of the cylinders that's working and run the other sensor wires through it one at a time to make sure each sensor is working. You can do the same with coils. Use a remote starter to turn the engine over easily.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

well I swapped coils and power packs. problem stayed on the starboard side, both cylinders. I will put it back together after work, and see what happens. hopefully adjusting/ properly shimming it will help me. will also try checking for spark with the black/yellow wire unhooked, thanks so far, and I will post up my progress

iwombat

Captain

I don't think the timer base on the '80 is adjustable.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think the timer base on the '80 is adjustable.

now that you mention it, I dont think it is either, as it sits down into the case, with a plastic spacer ring and held down by a few metal tabs. oh well, I've got all winter I suppose.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

well I put it all back together, having found nothing wrong, and tested again. apparently when I switched the powerpacks around, I put them back on the same side. so I switched them back around, and have spark on the starboard side. ordered a powerpack off ebay today. thank everyone for their help. I do now have a service manual in pdf on its way. if an admin could advise me on whether its ok, I can make the manual available for free download.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

I do now have a service manual in pdf on its way. if an admin could advise me on whether its ok, I can make the manual available for free download.