'88 merc 50hp starts but won't idle in neutral

Yovi Bay

Cadet
Hi,

So I finally got my '88 50hp going.

Got a tank and a battery and built up anticipation and was sadly disappointed that couldn't start It. Then, the next weekend I was told that if when it is in neutral that I hold in the button called throttle only and push the gear full forward, it will start but will rev really hard so be ready to back it off. So I did, primed the fuel, turned the water on the ear muffs pushed the button, pushed the arm forward cranked the key...VVVVROOOOOM, wow much excitement.

Then I backed it off half way between full and neutral giving it a chance to warm up for a minute or two (done this more than once) But............... I can't back it off enough to get it back into ordinary neutral. I obviously need to get it back to ordinary neutral so the throttle only button pops out thus then being able to select forward or reverse. But when I get near to neutral it flutters and stalls. After trying a few times and expecting it should then be warm I tried to start it from ordinary neutral but won't start only when trottle only button is in and pushed full forward.

Any ideas.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '88 merc 50hp starts but won't idle in neutral

You say you finnaly got it going??? What did you do to it? Ser#?
Need more info.You rebuild the fuel pump?Or carb?

If it's been setting and won't idle,then the carb probably needs cleaning,the pump rebuilt.
It could be as simple as adjusting the idle linkage.J

Yovi Bay

Cadet
Re: '88 merc 50hp starts but won't idle in neutral

finally as i ive had is 6 months bought it as a unknown commodity.

finally bought a tank and battery.

had a guy service it a month back but never able to run it myself at home unti i had the tank and batt.

trued starting it and couldnt get it going until i was given the info above about throttle only.

the guy who i took it to is quite a way away and he told me how he started it. he service it and put new cables and new sterering in.

other than that ive done nothing to it. its an 1988 mercury 50hp oil inceted (oil injectino disabled)