Strange Things Happening in Central Florida

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a little Honda 15, 4 stroke sitting on the boat out in the side yard. Ran it last week with the garden hose and muffs just to test things out.
Tonight it's supposed to bottom out at about 22F and should be in the mid 20s the rest of the week. I've covered it with about every blanket I could find and some the wife didn't want me to use.

Is there any chance there's any water left in there that could be a freezing problem, or is there anything else I should be doing ?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Steve

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Strange Things Happening in Central Florida

Just make sure it's stored vertically.

sasto

Captain

Maybe do what we do with our garden and plants, a lightbulb under the cover. But .....what do I know about freezing weather in South Florida?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

With engine at vertical position, pull rope several times with lanyard disconnected so to turn engine and let all left water in passages come out.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you really want to be sure (though prob not needed) pull the lower unit. If it is like my Honda 8HP, you have to disconnect the top of the shift rod link to let the rod slide down. I did mine (to service the water pump) and found that there are chambers in the bottom part of the lower unit, below the impeller. They have small holes through the side of the lower unit case, but one was all blocked with mud, so water would have stood in that. If it froze, would it do damage? Who knows?

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all who gave advice, especially the couple in Jensen Beach. I think I'll come visit !!

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Compressed air is the easiest way to get it out - stick the hose on the pee tube, blow away...