Ready for the water?

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice
Update on my recent purchase. 98 Excel 175 SX, Merc 4.3 alpha 1 gen 2.

I've done a bunch. Removed and serviced the outdrive; new impeller kit, exhaust bellows, gasket, seal. Prop service. Shutters in the exhaust (that's what tore the exhaust bellows (bearing and other bellows replaced this past summer). Installed new blower hoses. repaired bilge pump mis-installation (two pumps teed together, one not hooked up). Replaced inside trim hoses. Replaced all zincs. Installed battery hold down.
New plugs, set timing. Had a nasty flat spot just off idle and it was hunting lean, so I verified fuel pressure/volume and then rebuilt the carb. Found a little crud in the venturi pickup tubes and a sticky power valve piston. Cleaned it up and put in new gaskets/pump/needle/seat. Put it all back together today.

Cranked it up and it would start and die, start and die. After a minute of this I remembered to engage the kill switch. :) Then it fired right up and purred. A little adjustment to idle speed/mixture, and it's perfect, at least on the driveway.

So now comes the next big thing; take it to the water. My total experience boating has been a number of canoe trips and one power boat rental about 30 years ago, so power boating is going to be a little different.

Here's my thoughts. I'm looking for reality/sanity checks on this...

I'm hoping to have a friend along who has done this all before, but it might end up just being the wife and I. And she's never driven a power boat.

1. Put together a toolkit with all the tools I might need if something barfs.
2. Make sure I have the drain plug and a couple of spares. Oh; and plenty of fuel. :)
3.Take it down to the lake during the week so I can not be "that guy" at the ramp.
4. Back it into the water and check for leaks once the transom is wet.
5. Float it and check again for leaks.
6. Fire it up, test forward and reverse, get it to the dock, get the truck and trailer stowed away.
7. Basic maneuvering close to the dock. Forwards, backwards, verify all systems working as expected.
8. If all good, take it out and run it up a bit, watching oil pressure and engine temps. Stay close to help for a while. :)
9. Check again for leaks.
10. Go play. :)
11. Bring it back to the ramp and practice loading/unloading, space permitting.

What am I missing? Any other suggestions for a shakedown cruise?

Thanks!

Charlie

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ready for the water?

Ayuh,... Sounds like a Plan.....

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you leave the safty chain on the bow, or at least the winch strap on as you back it in the first time. I would sart it up and let it idle before unhooking it from the triler to be sure all is well. Open the hatch cover and make sure no water is leaking from the manifolds and such. If you float it off, make sure your bow line is secure and tied off....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Make sure your tool kit includes a spare prop an prop wrench. Make sure you have the safety stuff required in your area including a FULLY CHARGED extinguisher, and that all of the lights work. Test your forward and reverse before you leave home: engine off, throttle forward, will lock CCW and be free CW, reverse free CCW, lock CW. Once you get going, play with the trim to get a feel for the boat, the optimal trim is always changing, depending on speed, load and water conditions. Sounds like you are ready to have some fun.:D Good luck!

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Asecond note on safety equip, make sure you are stowing 2 oars. It wouldn't be a bad thing to take a boaters safety course.

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice

Stonyloam; that was a good one. I checked the forward/reverse thing and found freewheel in both directions. Looked into it and found that I had reversed the shift shaft in the bell housing and the coupler at the bottom was just barely touching the lower shift shaft. The sky got a bit bluer for a minute or so...

Pulled the outdrive again, reversed the shaft, new gasket/seal, retorque, and ran it up again to check it. Verified it was OK this time. Only took about a half hour this time.

Just saved me a BUNCH of embarrasment at the launch ramp an hour and a half away...

Thanks!

PS: The rest is good stuff too, folks. Keep it coming...

Charlie

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

OH COME ON!!! Guys everyone knows the rules!! set him up, get hidden video setup, and post appropriately! Its winter time how are we going to get any fun if we keep helping everyone without having fun with him first??:D

Good deal but don't forget the video!!
Good Luck!

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Asecond note on safety equip, make sure you are stowing 2 oars. It wouldn't be a bad thing to take a boaters safety course.

Aye sir, but 2 oars are no benefit with only one person, and it takes a while to cover 2 miles with one oar in a 16ft bowrider.......do not ask me how I know this please as it will bring back the nightmares.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Update on my recent purchase. 98 Excel 175 SX, Merc 4.3 alpha 1 gen 2.

I've done a bunch. Removed and serviced the outdrive; new impeller kit, exhaust bellows, gasket, seal. Prop service. Shutters in the exhaust (that's what tore the exhaust bellows (bearing and other bellows replaced this past summer). Installed new blower hoses. repaired bilge pump mis-installation (two pumps teed together, one not hooked up). Replaced inside trim hoses. Replaced all zincs. Installed battery hold down.
New plugs, set timing. Had a nasty flat spot just off idle and it was hunting lean, so I verified fuel pressure/volume and then rebuilt the carb. Found a little crud in the venturi pickup tubes and a sticky power valve piston. Cleaned it up and put in new gaskets/pump/needle/seat. Put it all back together today.

Cranked it up and it would start and die, start and die. After a minute of this I remembered to engage the kill switch. :) Then it fired right up and purred. A little adjustment to idle speed/mixture, and it's perfect, at least on the driveway.

So now comes the next big thing; take it to the water. My total experience boating has been a number of canoe trips and one power boat rental about 30 years ago, so power boating is going to be a little different.

Here's my thoughts. I'm looking for reality/sanity checks on this...

I'm hoping to have a friend along who has done this all before, but it might end up just being the wife and I. And she's never driven a power boat.

1. Put together a toolkit with all the tools I might need if something barfs.
2. Make sure I have the drain plug and a couple of spares. Oh; and plenty of fuel. :)
3.Take it down to the lake during the week so I can not be "that guy" at the ramp.
4. Back it into the water and check for leaks once the transom is wet.
5. Float it and check again for leaks.
6. Fire it up, test forward and reverse, get it to the dock, get the truck and trailer stowed away.
7. Basic maneuvering close to the dock. Forwards, backwards, verify all systems working as expected.
8. If all good, take it out and run it up a bit, watching oil pressure and engine temps. Stay close to help for a while. :)
9. Check again for leaks.
10. Go play. :)
11. Bring it back to the ramp and practice loading/unloading, space permitting.

What am I missing? Any other suggestions for a shakedown cruise?

Thanks!

Charlie

Take a boater safety course. You'll be really glad you did. Make sure you have a PFD for every person on the boat, in addition to all safety equipment required by your state and any other state in which you'll be boating. Fire extinguisher. First aid kit. Do all prep work in the parking or staging area before you back down the ramp.
When you pull the boat back onto the trailer, immediately trim the outdrive all the way up.
Have a great time!!!

Safe and happy boating always!!!