Help! Impeller stuck on shaft! Evinrude 90HP

kcs1211

Cadet
Help! Im doing my impeller on a 90hp Evinrude 1989 engine. The shaft has a little rust, looks like water was getting past the oring.

The impeller won't come off the shaft. I don't want to pry too hard, I've sprayed down with WD. Any tricks out there someone can recommend?

I'd appreciate any help.

boating thad

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help! Impeller stuck on shaft! Evinrude 90HP

try some pb blaster sell it at home depot has released some very stuck bolts

thad

redjmp

Chief Petty Officer

You will have to remove all the rust on the shaft or the impeller will not come off, nor will a new one slide on.
Sandpaper or emery cloth with some lube for that.

PB Blaster is the highest rated penetrating oil... But you may still need to cut the old impeller off the shaft.
The hub is usually soft brass so even a sharp chisel or dremel will work.
Just be careful not to score the shaft where the seals rub.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you will need to clean the shaft (as mentioned) and you will also need to use force, no use ***** footing around with it, it needs to come off to be replaced, so get to it! you are not thinking of re-using it are you?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Bust it off of there. You're replacing it, so just cut the bugger... Don't go nuts, though - not hard to get overzealous and have a chisel or dremel cut something you didn't want cut...

tony edwards

Cadet

if you can see the keyway on top of impeller, take a sharp chisel and drive straight into keyway from side. the brass hub will expand and release impeller. plus, you will be impacting straight onto key so if you damage it, just replace it. if it is a newer unit, the key is plastic and shaped like a wedge. if it is plastic, replacement impellers usually come with this type of key. let me know if you want to know how to get new plastic key to stay in place for impeller install. it is cool.

stupiddog

Seaman Apprentice

I'm interested in how to keep the plastic key in place. I love cool stuff!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I put a dab of grease on the key to hold it in place...

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use a dab of grease too, not too sure how "cool" that is, but it works every time.