smoking black max

jbornhop

Cadet
I have a 1982 150 black max and it runs well when opened up, but when at idle speed it smokes to beat all is there something I can do or is this a major problem? Thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: smoking black max

I have a 1982 150 black max and it runs well when opened up, but when at idle speed it smokes to beat all is there something I can do or is this a major problem? Thanks

Black Max means it's a big motor and painted black. Would help to know exactly which engine you have.

Dukedog

Captain

'82 150 = 2.0, carb, non-oil injected, first generation block motor........

If its in good health it will tend ta smoke more at idle. Nature of tha beast. Ya might try going to a syn blend at 40 ta 1 and keep tha motor trim at level or a tad positive at idle. That motor has a long tuner that stays under water more so than some others thus it loads up at long idle's more than others........

j_martin

Admiral

I think there was still an inline 6 black max in 82. At least tell us if it's a v6 or an inline.

If it's a V6, there's an adjustment to the VRO linkage that controls the blend with throttle position. It could be off, especially if someone has tinkered with the carbs or linkage. I suspect there's something similar with the inline.

Dukedog

Captain

inline 150 went away in '77/'78. No oil injection till '84...........