Starcraft question (s)

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm new to Starcrafts and not familiar with them. One popped up for sale near me and all they have in the ad is that its a 16 foot fish and ski with no motor with interior redone several years ago. Is there anything I need to look for besides the usual on boats in general ie: floor, transom, etc? What is the biggest engine I can put on it and are there other Starcraft windshields I could bolt in place of the existing one? (I'd prefer a more rakish look). Here is a pic of one just like it:

3nb3m63o35V15T25U2ac420c4ba0d9946158b.jpg

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Starcraft question (s)

First off Welcome to the site, you will find lots of great people and a wealth of info. It is hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like an SS. Is it an open bow? If it is then it is an SS. Do you know the year? I had a 1984 16 SS and the coast gaurd plate said the max hp was 90, I put an Johnson V4 90 on it and it was a great boat. I would check to make sure the P/O did not use asnd pressure treated ply wood in the interior rebuild, as that is a real no no on aluminum boats. Let us know how you make out. Where are you located?
Glen

Bifflefan

Commander

I'd guess its around the 70's era.
90 or 100 will be close to the max.
Definatly agree with the no treated plywood.
For that era, thats the windshield you get. You can retro fit a different one if you like. Being an open bow tho, you are limited.
I guess it all depends on what they want for it, vs the shape its in right now.
A bad resto some years ago is still a bad resto.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks like a nice 16' SS. The consoles and gunnels are relatively flat so you could retrofit just about any windshield you'd find. I did a swap on my 16 closed bow that worked out awesome. As mentioned, probably 90HP max. I had an 85 on mine. I think anything 50HP-90 would work well.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

My !978 16SS is taged for Max 90 HP by Coast Guard. It has a three piece windshield.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would check to make sure the P/O did not use asnd pressure treated ply wood in the interior rebuild, as that is a real no no on aluminum boats.

You mean if he used something other than marine grade plywood? Is there a way to tell visually just by looking at it? Hopefully the seller is willing to peel back some carpet to let me check. Yes its an open bow and the price seems right.

Bifflefan

Commander

You mean if he used something other than marine grade plywood? Is there a way to tell visually just by looking at it? Hopefully the seller is willing to peel back some carpet to let me check. Yes its an open bow and the price seems right.

Marine grade is not a requirment, as long as it is sealed. Sealed is the most important. Treated will be green colored. If they used it, it can react with the alum, and fiberglass. If they did you wont be able to tell if there is damage until its out of the boat.
I have never used marine grade plywood. just 5 to 7 ply plywood and seal it up by pouring and or brushing resin on it, let it dry then do it again with a layer of glass and your done. Do all sides, edges too.

Also a newer, lighter engine will do a nice job. My 1974 85 HP johnny weighed a ton but ran great, just made her a bit tail heavy.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've never done a floor before so thanks for the info! I should be going to look at it soon, hopefully its decent.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Windshield I think you can rake the one on there by moveing the support rod further back. Won't take much. If that was rebuilt they may have set it higher when they did the work. There normally slanted more than the photo shows.

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice

"I can put on it and are there other Starcraft windshields I could bolt in place of the existing one? (I'd prefer a more rakish look). Here is a pic of one just like it:"

If rakish is what I think it is I have a windshield that may work. I converted my 1984 160 to center console and have the old double console windshield. It is in good shape. Probably fit your boat. Send me a PM if you are interested

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"I can put on it and are there other Starcraft windshields I could bolt in place of the existing one? (I'd prefer a more rakish look). Here is a pic of one just like it:"

If rakish is what I think it is I have a windshield that may work. I converted my 1984 160 to center console and have the old double console windshield. It is in good shape. Probably fit your boat. Send me a PM if you are interested

The boat in consideration sold before I could even look at it. Thanks for the offer though.