Should I have to pay this bill???????

waterinthefuel

Commander
I was injured at work turning a large turbine engine for a borescope inspection. The symptoms, at the time, looked like a heart attack. (it was later diagnosed as a cartilage injury in my sternum.) I went and layed outside and my boss called the ambulance. I told them just hook me up to the EKG and check me out. He said you appear fine. I said, "Ok, I want to go back to work." My boss says, "You can't do that, you must get signed off by a doctor." I said, "OK, I'll drive myself to the hospital." My boss says, "We can't let you do that, too much liability." I said, "Ok, will you take me in your own vehicle?" He said, "No." So I stated my only way off of the premises and to a doctor is via that ambulance, and he said "yes, that's correct." So I went in the ambulance to the hospital.

A few days later I spoke with the safety guy who accompanied me to the hospital and he said the company would take care of the ambulance bill, don't worry about it.

Well a month later, I get a bill in from the ambulance, 1200 bucks!! :eek: I didn't agree to take the ambulance, I was forced by them as the only way to leave the premises. I offered to go in my own vehicle, and they would not let me. How can I be forced to pay for a bill from a company that I was forced to use? I was injured at work, and they are denying my claim!

What to do? Please, anybody, help me!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Should I have to pay this bill???????

Work related and they said you had to go by ambulance, I wouldn't pay a dime. Did it say on the bill the claim was denied or something to that affect? I would bring the bill to your employer and say, "Here ya go".....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ditto......his bill not yours......it happened at work....on his premises....totally his responcibility

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

As someone who has worked in the EMS field for 25 years (and on an ambulance for 9), I have some first hand knowledge in this area.

1) No medical insurance? If you have it, it should cover, minus a small deductible as it initially appeared as a medically necessary transport.

2) I agree with the boss' reaction as wanting you transported by ambulance. If your initial signs/symptoms mimmiced a possible cardiac episode, I would also insist on ambulance transport. You do have the right of refusal however. Opting for transport via private vehicle is your right as a free person, even if all people (including the Paramedic on scene) indicate that an ambulance is your best course of action. It's called refusing T/P against medical advice (AMA).

3) If you signed the paperwork from the transport provider, you are legally responsible for the bill. Period. However, you're boss stepped up and made a verbal committment to you that the transport bill would be covered by the company. Have you presented the bill to him? He may just surprise you and take it and pay it.

I'm glad it was just a muscluskeletal problem and not cardiac related.

JRJ

Commander

Give the bill to your boss or the safety guy. They should add it in with the Comp expenses. Keep a copy and note who you gave the bill to.

waterinthefuel

Commander

As someone who has worked in the EMS field for 25 years (and on an ambulance for 9), I have some first hand knowledge in this area.

1) No medical insurance? If you have it, it should cover, minus a small deductible as it initially appeared as a medically necessary transport.

2) I agree with the boss' reaction as wanting you transported by ambulance. If your initial signs/symptoms mimmiced a possible cardiac episode, I would also insist on ambulance transport. You do have the right of refusal however. Opting for transport via private vehicle is your right as a free person, even if all people (including the Paramedic on scene) indicate that an ambulance is your best course of action. It's called refusing T/P against medical advice (AMA).

3) If you signed the paperwork from the transport provider, you are legally responsible for the bill. Period. However, you're boss stepped up and made a verbal committment to you that the transport bill would be covered by the company. Have you presented the bill to him? He may just surprise you and take it and pay it.

I'm glad it was just a muscluskeletal problem and not cardiac related.

Yes I have medical insurance but they are absolutely useless, all they ever do is deny my claims. This ambulance bill was denied because of "location." WTF? It was still in the state!

I had to sign the paperwork for the transport provider, they wouldn't take me if I didn't.

This whole situation is such bull****. What a good way to ruin a holiday.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Yes I have medical insurance but they are absolutely useless, all they ever do is deny my claims. This ambulance bill was denied because of "location." WTF? It was still in the state!

I had to sign the paperwork for the transport provider, they wouldn't take me if I didn't.

This whole situation is such bull****. What a good way to ruin a holiday.

Don't let it ruin your holiday, step back and be thankful it was not a cardiac situation and some will disagree, Talk to you boss and see what he says, then if it gets complicated, wait until after the first of the year, and then deal with it.

My son is an EMT, and he drives a bus, and was telling us the other night when we talked to him, his company figures they will get things straightened out after the first of the year with most of there runs..

But, don't let it ruin your holiday..

waterinthefuel

Commander

Don't let it ruin your holiday, step back and be thankful it was not a cardiac situation and some will disagree, Talk to you boss and see what he says, then if it gets complicated, wait until after the first of the year, and then deal with it.

My son is an EMT, and he drives a bus, and was telling us the other night when we talked to him, his company figures they will get things straightened out after the first of the year with most of there runs..

But, don't let it ruin your holiday..

Thanks. I can't wait until the end of the year on this, the due date on the bill I got today was day before Xmas eve! :eek:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Thanks. I can't wait until the end of the year on this, the due date on the bill I got today was day before Xmas eve! :eek:

Like I said, don't let it ruin your holidays, based on the experiences related by my son, they pretty much expect them to be late at this time of year, whether an insurance company is paying or the individual is paying, they don't report to credit agencies on most of these, now if it goes into collection, they can screw your credit up, but it would be at least a year before they turn it over.

Give them a call and tell them you are getting things worked out with all of the parties involved and they should be ok to work with that..

You best course of action would be to sit down with your safety manager and discuss this and make sure to bring up the fact he told you that would take care of it and see what they say, actually if they stated they would pay for it, it should be a claim against their workmans comp policy...

But again, enjoy your holidays and work to the solution without the frustration...

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

man.... I think the whole world has it out for you.:eek:

tallcanadian

Captain

I feel bad for you. I do agree that your boss should pay because it was job related. But, I have to say, wow. 1200 dollars for an ambulance. I would crap my pants. We pay 150 dollars here. I thought that was high. Good luck with your claim. The upside is your alive and in good health.

Your insurance wont pay because they know the company(workers comp) has to pay it...Very simple....You do not wont to return to work until this injury is documented and checked by a doctor. Its a legal thing. If this injury has long lasting effects everything has to be in order. If you reinjured yourself before being cleared to return to work THAT BILL WOULD BE YOURS AND ONLY YOURS.. If you were hurt because you were not using the proper safety precautions you may hear more about this from the boss...The ambulance company will send everyone a bill including your mama until they get the moooney...let them wait the course.

Bondo

Staff member

A few days later I spoke with the safety guy who accompanied me to the hospital and he said the company would take care of the ambulance bill, don't worry about it.

Ayuh,... Like Bubba asked,... Have you even spoken to this Safety guy,..??

As also noted,... The meatwagon company is gonna bill Everybody hopein' somebody pays...

You need to take up drinkin' or somethin',... You seems Way to excitable....
Chill out, it's just a billing thing, not the end of the world.....

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

12 years ago I fell 32 ft,got a bill for an life fight bill 3900.00 just trying to make you feel better------------now that you feel a little better I will tell you the insurance payed mine,hang in there it will work out

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I was hurt while working for a national parcel carrier many years ago. As a broke college student, I was shocked when I got the ER bill. I had to go a couple levels above my supervisor to get the bill paid.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone here is right. I'm a retired fire/medic and did several years on an ambulance. The ambulance company will probably send us your bill since we're even talking about it. They bill everyone hoping someone will pay. Also, many insurance companies deny most initial claims hoping you're dumb enough to pay it yourself. You just have to tell them that you thought you were having a hart attack and thought you'd die if you didn't go to the hospital by ambulance.

Workers' Compensation should pick up the tab for everything. They're a pain in the a@@ to deal with because they'd love to deny it also. I got hurt pretty bad at work training with a bunch of people watching and the Workers' Comp people still gave me a hard time.

Last, most ambulance companies don't expect to get paid for a few months and are pretty cool if you explain things to them.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I mean this respectfully, and i certainly don't want to upset you, but I have read thru the thread 3 times, and I can't find where you said you took this bill to your Boss.

Now there is a 90% chance I have missed it and I am wrong, but if I haven't, then please, stop wasting your time here and take the Bill to your Boss, and you'r going to be much happier, and your holiday period will be great. Very few Bosses are bad.

Cheers
Phillip

RGrew176

Commander

Since your employer called the ambulance and the situation happened at work its the employers responsibility to pay the fees associated with the ambulance run. I had a similar situation in 2004. They thought I was having a heart attack even though the pain was on the right side of my chest. The company one of the Big 3 callled an ambulance to take me to the hospital. I never saw a bill from them.

Fortunately it was not a heart attack. A week later I had another attack and my gall bladder had to be removed.

I think you will end up OK.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shouldn't Workers' compensation take care of this bill since it happened at work and on work premises?

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only place where you have a problem is that you signed the form. They want you to fight for their money with the ins. co.

When I was "forced" to take an ambulance ride from one hospital to another accross the bay I refused to sign that form. I told them that they had the Workman's comp info and that was enough.
I never saw a bill. My boss told me that he hoped I enjoyed the ride as it cost the ins. $850.00. He followed in his truck and could have gotten me there 2 hrs sooner but the ins. co demanded that I be "under competent medical care". I did laugh when they added the $24.00 for the toll accross the bridge tunnel:)